US olive drab

alymcleod

Hi chaps,

Just opened a tin of what I was sold as "WW2 Light Olive Drab" from a major supplier. To me it looks like light green rather than Olive Drab. Have I been sold the wrong paint? New tank strap, old body paint and freshly painted "Light Olive Drab" ???

IMG_0006.jpg

Did you give the paint a really good mix? The heavy pigment can settle in the can but matching olive drab is near impossible as everyone has their own opinion as to what is correct. Paint fades over time aswell as I'm finding with my dodge as I have the paint we used 5 years ago and the 'newly applied' paint is much greener than the 5 year old weathered paint.

Steve

Did you give the paint a really good mix? The heavy pigment can settle in the can but matching olive drab is near impossible as everyone has their own opinion as to what is correct. Paint fades over time aswell as I'm finding with my dodge as I have the paint we used 5 years ago and the 'newly applied' paint is much greener than the 5 year old weathered paint.

Steve

Hi Steve, thanks for that. I did give the paint a good stir

It does look a very similar colour to the olive drab on a 1944 GPW rear axle that I am restoring.

Regards

John

Hi John,

Strangely enough I just rubbed through several layers of paint on the bonnet and the bottom coat next to the redox' is this colour too.

Unfortunately after reassembling the jeep, I filled the tank and some petrol slopped over the week old paint and it reacted with it - wrinkles all over :mad:

Edited by alymcleod