WW2 Jeep History from post war registration

Tom M

Hi, does anyone know how to trace the history of a British Wartime Jeep? I have the post war registration number '74 YG 08'.

I have seen that there are some post war record cards in existence which detailed which unit the Jeep came from when it received its new post war registration number. Does anyone know where to get hold of these?

Many thanks.

IMG_0426.jpg

TOM the only record cards l know of are the key card no 2 held now by the RLC museum Deepcut they give very limited

information of the JEEPS history its wartime census number chassis number when and where it was sold and of course its postwar number which you already have details what you are asking for do not appear very very rarely have l seen a detail of a wartime vehicles connection with a british military unit in in those cases the unit it came from to the disposal sale and

then only may be one in a thousand

Hi, does anyone know how to trace the history of a British Wartime Jeep? I have the post war registration number '74 YG 08'.

I have seen that there are some post war record cards in existence which detailed which unit the Jeep came from when it received its new post war registration number. Does anyone know where to get hold of these?

Many thanks.

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?42765-British-serving-ww2-jeep-Records-required&p=398118#post398118

Hi Tom,

All I can tell you is that 74YJ08 was struck off (sold) from the British Army in June 1959.

The Key Card will tell you the wartime M registration number (or, at least the number it had in 1949). If you decide to get a copy, then let us know what the M number is, since there is more info that can be gleaned from it, such as, was it originally delivered to the British new, or was it an American vehicle delivered second hand. Was it rebuilt, or a recaptured vehicle.

By the way, you've posted the same jeep plate on your question about your airborne trailer too. Do you have the dataplate for the trailer? If it's the postwar plate (probably in the YK series), then there should be a keycard for that too.

Thanks,

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for the information. When the information arrives from the RLC museum I will post the details. The trailer data plate picture was a mistake that couldn't undo. No sign of a data plate on the trailer, only the holes for the original manufacturers plate.