Pyrene Fire Extinguisher

Davey089

Not sure if I've put this in the right section :undecided: .

I have a couple of Pyrene extinguishers and the markings on one of them is as in the photograph . Anyone any ideas or knows what it could possibly be from , its broad arrow marked with GPO in raised letters ?

Thanks

Dave

IMG_1023.jpg

IMG_1021.jpg

IMG_1022.jpg

if l remember correctly lots of government departments had equipment stamped with the broad arrow not just the military

Thanks Wally ........

I'll put it on Evil bay as its no use to me with it having no military connection .

GPO was a crown department under the Postmaster General (a minister) until 1969 and telephone vans were dark bronze green. The split into Royal Mail and Post Office Telecommunications resulted in these becoming public corporations and telephone vans turning yellow until after the privatisation of BT from 1984

Iain

(who has been with BT altogether too long for his own good ;)

The extinguishers would have been fitted to Post Office Telephone and Post Office vans..some of which were Morris 1000 and J2 as well as BMC and Carrier. Until the late 60's, early 70"s both organisations were one and the same and part of the govt/civil service. Then the two organisations split. British Telecom emerged later as BT whilst the Post Office remained as a mail carrier.

DAVE GENERAL POST OFFICE l remember that there vans carried these