K9 thermostat removal

Kloud Nine

Hi Folks,

My K9 has started to over heat, at first just running a bit hot, last time I moved her she boiled up very quickly. I've taken the thermo housing off the truck but can't see how to remove the thermostat. It's either just corroded in there or there's something I'm not doing right. I've taken the small bolt out of the side. It looks like it should drift out but it's stuck fast: I don't have access to my manuals here......

Any advice?

Cheers,

Crispin.

Edited by Kloud Nine

Guess I've answered my own question, drif it and sleave with an old chair leg, a hammer, and some Plusgas.... Lucky I found a spare in my stock.

Hi Crispin, I have had overheating problems with me Champ and Humber Pig and in both cases the cylinder blocks have been blocked with 60 years of gunge. The whole cooling systems had to be repeatedly flushed to restore circulation and both needed new thermostats. It might be worth checking your system before putting in anew thermostat. The Pig was so bad I had to make an adaptor for the cylinder block drain and blast compressed air through it. I only used short blasts in case I did something daft like burst the radiator.

Doug

My WC52 suffered badly from overheating despite flushing the block numerous times and a new thermostat, on removing the radiator I could barely lift it ! Turned out it was virtually totally blocked with 70 years worth of crud. I took it to my local radiator guy who re-cored it and on return it was a third of the weight previously. Truck ran cool thereafter :D

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys, I've got some rad cleaner in there now...... I think my overheating is due to leaks on my exhaust manifold. Theres a big crack next to the lug on no.6 cyl. I've been putting off dealing with it because of this. However she boiled up on a short run after fitting a new thermo so I've bitten the bullet. Still going to be a bodge to get me through, using exhaust gasket material and high temp epoxy but it'll have to do until I can find a new manifold & gasket.......

Anyone??

C.

Edited by Kloud Nine

The saga continues........

Well I fixed up the manifold, no blowing now. I left Norwich at 9 this morning, arrived in Cambridge at 4.30, driving 3 miles at a time and letting the old girl cool in between. Took the thermostat out halfway but she still overheated. Going to get the rad flushed tomorrow, lots of sludge on the cap.

Just a thought, I fitted one of Frank Jolley's electronic ignition kits and high power coil over the winter. I wonder if that might be adding to the problem?

C.