Stalwart V-belt tightening

Sean N

Question

Can't get the nearside V belt (fan belt) to stay tight on this Stalwart. I think the rotation of the belt should tend to tighten the two halves of the pulley, which has happened on the off side, but the nearside just wants to come loose all the time.

Any suggestions or top tips?

Thanks

Edited by Sean N
Clarify

9 answers to this question

I am trying to remember and therefore may not be correct.

loosen the four small bolts in the centre of the pulley as they lock it ?

one pulley sheeve turns one way.......Left hand thread and the other pulley sheeve turns the other way Right hand thread.

I think a special spanner is suppose to have been used to turn the sheeves in what way you needed to turn them to get the adjustment correct.

I managed to do it by hand and by turning the fan blades.

If coming loose.....the four locking bolts are not doing there job.

I heard lazy mechanics would do the old flick them off job with a big screw driver when the engine was idling....not recommended.

it is possible to fit them on that way too.........not recommended.

Ron

Richard,

You've triggered my failing memory, thanks.

Ron,

I am trying to remember and therefore may not be correct.

loosen the four small bolts in the centre of the pulley as they lock it ?

one pulley sheeve turns one way.......Left hand thread and the other pulley sheeve turns the other way Right hand thread.

Yes

I think a special spanner is suppose to have been used to turn the sheeves in what way you needed to turn them to get the adjustment correct.

Yes again - face spanner (adjustable one fairly easily available)

I heard lazy mechanics would do the old flick them off job with a big screw driver when the engine was idling....not recommended.

it is possible to fit them on that way too.........not recommended.

Ron

Even thinking about doing this frightens the life out of me. Sounds like a very good way to hurt yourself very badly. and do a lot of damage into the bargain.

Yes, that's the one. Face spanner. Locates in the holes in the sheaves. Anyone looking to do this job you don't need the proper one, an adjustable face spanner the right size from the likes of J&L Industrial Supply will do.

Yes, that's the one. Face spanner. Locates in the holes in the sheaves. Anyone looking to do this job you don't need the proper one, an adjustable face spanner the right size from the likes of J&L Industrial Supply will do.

I've always called them a pin or peg spanner! Thanks for the tip about J&L though, you might just have solved a different problem.

Andy