WW2 British Army Smock?

henryp

Hello I've had this floating around for a while and apparently it's more interesting than I knew.

It was given to my dad by a gentleman who we belive served in Malaya around 1957 and possibly Kenya before this.

Unfortunately the label has been washed out but you can make out a 'W /|\' faintly next to it. I think the number below it looks like the remnants of a '32' and perhaps a line above.

Can anyone tell me a bit more about? I might end up selling so would like to get my facts straight.

Many thanks

Henry

IMG_2974.jpg

IMG_2998.jpg

Hello I've had this floating around for a while and apparently it's more interesting than I knew.

It was given to my dad by a gentleman who we belive served in Malaya around 1957 and possibly Kenya before this.

Unfortunately the label has been washed out but you can make out a 'W /|\' faintly next to it. I think the number below it looks like the remnants of a '32' and perhaps a line above.

Can anyone tell me a bit more about? I might end up selling so would like to get my facts straight.

Many thanks

Henry

IMG_2974.jpg

IMG_2998.jpg

Hi Henry,

It looks like the drab version of the windproof smock - could be wartime or post-war - pretty much impossible to tell if the date is no longer legible. As far as I know, they normally sell for around £80 to £100, although there is one on Ebay at the moment for an extremely optimistic £750!!

Hope this helps,

Mike

Henry

The "P" above the WD broad arrow dates it to 1941. I believe this is the denim version of the windproof smock, rather rarer than the standard drab version and so worth rather more. I wouldn't care to try and value it, but on ebay with a proper description it should find its level. You'll probably find out more about it if you search on here.

Cheers,

E.

Henry

The "P" above the WD broad arrow dates it to 1941. I believe this is the denim version of the windproof smock, rather rarer than the standard drab version and so worth rather more. I wouldn't care to try and value it, but on ebay with a proper description it should find its level. You'll probably find out more about it if you search on here.

Cheers,

E.

Agreed - definitely rarer than the drab version.

Ebay, but with a reserve... or good starting price... if you wanted to sell.