Exercise Pilgrims Progress

BarrieT

Heard on the grapevine that the Army in Wales will be holding 'Exercise Pilgrims Progress' in South East Wales, using private land, during April 2015.

Has anyone any idea what vehicles may be used/what to look out for ?

Thanks

Barrie

Heard on the grapevine that the Army in Wales will be holding 'Exercise Pilgrims Progress' in South East Wales, using private land, during April 2015.

Has anyone any idea what vehicles may be used/what to look out for ?

Thanks

Barrie

Google suggests that Pilgrims Progress is a regular exercise* which according to Hansard in 1981:

marked the culmination of a combat survival instructors course with the aim of exercising the students in the skills learnt during the course.

This being the case, I'd expect little more in the way of vehicles than whatever passes for a Land Rover these days.

I was Hunter force on Ex Trident in 1977, a Special Forces Escape and Evasion exercise in the Kielder area of Northumberland, out of Otterburn, so not a world different. We were out in CVR(T) because that's what the regiment had. But I'd suggest that's unusual.

What to look out for? Small groups of servicemen (I'd not expect more than four in a group = a vehicle crew), but since they're instructors, more likely singles, acting furtively, trying not to be seen, maybe knocking on farmhouse doors begging for food and more importantly safe water, but if they're caught, a course fail because they'll have been warned that civvies are to be considered enemy. As potential instructors, they ought not to have to rely on civvies.

Hunter Force out in the ulu moving fast and without a care about being covert cos they're playing at home.

Just about covers it, I reckon.

_____

* Edit: Akin to Summer Sales, Winter Woolies, Eternal Triangle, Able Archer**

** For a bad night's sleep, Google Exercise Able Archer 83. I know where I was, but I didn't know at the time how close I was to a bucket of sunshine.

Edited by AlienFTM

Gives rise to the old Welsh Saying 'Who spends the most time on Pen Y Fan in winter. The SAS or the Mountatin Rescue team pulling them off'?

Ah Alien, isn't nice to see international relations going back to the good days?

Edited by Tony B