WW1 Opel to identify

Gradez

Dear readers,

in a stash of WW I photographs I found a picture of a german WW I lorry, obviously an Opel. But does anybody recognize the exact type/model?

And furthermore, what about the markings? What does A.M.K.K. mean? Armee Motor Kraftfahr Kolonne? Or anything else? If so, does anyone know, in which theatre of operations A.M.K.K. 816 was deployed? And what does the "Str. 3162" on the licence plate (?) stand for.

I have very little knowledge about Imperial German motor equipment, or the organisation of German army transport during the great war, so please be gentle, if these question might be stupid or have been discussed several times before.

Oh, by the way it says just "Opel Lastauto" on the back, which can be roughly translated with "Opel lorry".

Any help will be highly appreciated.

please.jpg

Gradez

Oh, by the way it says just "Opel Lastauto" on the back, which can be roughly translated with "Opel lorry".

Any help will be highly appreciated.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]102337[/ATTACH]

Gradez

Hi Gradez,

I am not convinced that it is an OPEL even though it is written on the back of the photo. I think it may be a NAG. (National Automobil-Gesellschaft AG) from Berlin. This one may be about 1917. They later merged with Bussing. The radiator certainly looks NAG as does the front axle.

Regards Rick.

There's a restored 1915 Opel in Museum Sinsheim that look very much like the one you show . . . 4-cyl, vol 7.1 (cwt??), 50 hp according to the photo. Other sources indicate that Open made 3-t trucks, but don't give model numbers. Would appreciate it if you'd share any drawings you may come up with as I can find very few of WW1 German vehicles.

Bosun Al

There's a restored Would appreciate it if you'd share any drawings you may come up with as I can find very few of WW1 German vehicles.

Bosun Al

Thank you, Bosun Al, for your answer. I do not have any drawings, just this picture and a few others, showing other WW I impressions. But if I come accross a set of drawings, I will remember you.

Gradez

Oh, I just remembered. I would put money on it being an Opel.

Dear Great War truck,

I feel a little honored, to recieve an opinion from you, as your Dennis and Thornycroft threads a the main reasons for me to check this forum on at least weekley bases for years now. They somewhat triggered my interest in Great War motor transport.

"Artillerie" instead of "Armee" makes sense to me.

Kind regards

Gradez

Do you think the Sinsheim Museum Opel has a non-standard radiator?

Dear redhering,

This could very well be, as the Sinsheim Museum have their own reputation for not always restoring their things properly, but to use what is availeble to get the stuff running. So I did not want to take this exemple as a reference.

But to stay fair, they saved it back in those years, when anybody else would have scrapped it and when originality to every nut and bolt wasn´t a requirement.

Kind regards

Gradez

Thank you Rick, I know, the notes on the back are not always trustworthy. But what about that radiator badge, beneath the filler cap? Isn´t it an early Opel sign? Regards Gradez

The badge isn't very clear in the photo but if you look at it with a magnifying glass, there is no doubt that it reads "Opel".

Here's a photo of the 1910 version of the Opel badge for comparison. Probably a little more ornate than you would find on a wartime truck but you get the idea:

image.jpg

If you go on line to ONB/ANNO AustriaN Newspaper Online - Allgemeine Automobil-Zeitung you will find free the complete run of this magazine from 1900 onwards which contains much info. on cars and commercial vehicles including Austrian / German WW1 period. Very worthwhile taking a look and quite easy to find your way around.

Richard Peskett.

Excellent identification. Yes an OPEL. I am always pleased to be proved incorrect. My photo of the NAG is very small and the radiator and front guards look to be identical. I couldn't find a photo of an OPEL. Maybe there was some cross usage or some form of compatibility between makers. (As in the WWII Jeep between Willys and Ford.)

Regards Rick.

ONB/ANNO AustriaN Newspaper Online - Allgemeine Automobil-Zeitung

Richard Peskett.

Thank you Richard,

I know Austrian Newspaper Online from other things, I researched in the past - MVs being just a "side interest" for me. I just never realised, that they also have motoring magazines in stock.

So, my weekend is settled.

Greetings

Gradez

Edited by Gradez
misspelling

Maybe there was some cross usage or some form of compatibility between makers.

Regards Rick.

Dear Rick,

In my opinion this is a very interesting aspect. My feeling always was, that standardisation wasn´t a thing that German army officials cared about very much, as far as motoring was concerned. Even the socalled "Einheits PKW" from the pre/early WW2 aera came with different engines, according to the maker.

I know, that in the pre WW1 aera there was a system for subsidy lorries, but how far was "standardisation" an issue?

Kind regards

Gradez