New boy in Southampton

mike25470

Hello everyone

I joined this forum a while ago, but haven’t got round to introducingmyself, so here goes.

I have recently retired and am getting older, greyer andgrumpier by the minute – but the inner child remains active. Having been in thedefence sector in an engineering role for most of my working life the odd militaryvehicle or two have crossed my path, not to mention frigates, destroyers and aircraftcarriers (when we still had some). I spent many happy hours at Chertsey havingmy fillings vibrated out on the Setts and Pavé test tracks or going throughthe gloop at long valley in FV432s and being paid for the privilege. I was a memberof the MVCG back in the 80’s and occasionally drove a Dingo, Bedford OYD andother small vehicles for friends. Careerand mortgage took over and I left the scene so to speak, but the interest neverfaded, I just looked from afar.

I have returned to motorcycles (inner child) and am countingthe “sleeps” to go before picking up a new Beemer, which I will use to travelto a few more shows this year. I will beeasily recognised:

a) Old, grey an grumpy looking

b) In motorcycling kit – very loud fluorescent yellowjacket

c) Prowling around furtively looking at AECMatadors with camera, notebook and tape measure in hand

Ah! Ha! You are all thinking he’s got a Matador fetish. Notquite. Whilst I would love to own such an iconic and purposeful looking vehicle,the Domestic Management Executive (DME) to whom I report would have a majorsense of humour failure if I rolled up in one and left it in front of thehouse. I can hear her cries “its too%&@ZZZ big”. So, I (or is that the inner child) have decided to build aradio controlled AEC Mk 3 Armoured Car in 1/6 scale as a retirement project,hence the interest in Matadors since they share the same innards. DME seems happy enough with that, but hasn’tquite worked out that at 1/6 scale it is still quite big, but at least it can fitin the shed. Gotta build a proper man-shed too.

Currently working on the model design and spending far toomuch time at Bovington, but they are so helpful and the reference library is anabsolute treasure trove of information, particularly technical handbooks. Receiveoccasional reminders from DME that I need to be getting on with other things….decoration,house refurbishment, the garden…etc.

Anyway that’s enough of me rabbiting on. Look forward tomeeting you all at the various shows

Mike