Bedford MJ

Burian

Hi, I have an MJ which runs fine but on side roads hills tend to be a problem. I was wandering if you can fit the Bedford 500 with its gearbox into the MJ, its not to get top speed as to maintain a reasonable one on hills. The other option I believe that is easy is to fit a five speed gearbox and shorter drive shaft. Has anyone tried fitting a Bedford 500 to an MJ?

Hi, I have an MJ which runs fine but on side roads hills tend to be a problem. I was wandering if you can fit the Bedford 500 with its gearbox into the MJ, its not to get top speed as to maintain a reasonable one on hills. The other option I believe that is easy is to fit a five speed gearbox and shorter drive shaft. Has anyone tried fitting a Bedford 500 to an MJ?

The 500 was an option for a MJ, I used to work on one in particular, not easy to get around though as it is a snug fit. A Chevy V8 (petrol) was also an option in a certain overseas market, should be no problems on hill with one of them. :D

If you go for the 5 speed Turner box, best to get one with direct top gear (same as 4 speed). The overdrive top 5 speed box gives pretty much the same spacing of first 4 ratios as the 4 speed box, thereby making it just as useless bad on hills once the higher top speed has fallen away!

These boxes are getting hard to find as is a lot of stuff now…...

The 500 was an option for a MJ, I used to work on one in particular, not easy to get around though as it is a snug fit. A Chevy V8 (petrol) was also an option in a certain overseas market, should be no problems on hill with one of them. :D

Thanks for that. Do you know if the engine can use the same mount positions? I was hoping to use the 6 speed box as in the TM.

Thanks for that. Do you know if the engine can use the same mount positions? I was hoping to use the 6 speed box as in the TM.

You will have to be aware that the engine sits over the front diff on an M type and so the correct sump and related items inside (oil pump pick up) would need to be fitted. My memory of the front mounting on a 500 in the TM4x4 is dim, but think the 500 option for the MJ would have used same mount as the 330. The engine cannot go forward anymore as the radiator would interfere with the cab. My feeling is you need to look for a 500 from a MJ as I believe that will not create too many problems ...... I am assuming you are looking at using a TM configured 500? As for using that box from a TM, again, not sure what the MJ with 500 had, think it was a 5 speed Turner.

Dear All,

I would have thought the first step would be to ensure that the vehicle is pulling properly with the engine it has. I take it that it is being run empty or with only a small load. And a very silly question: It has got the turbo charged engine for the MJ and NOT the naturally aspirated MK engine.

I also think that it would be a lot easier make 'final adjustments' the FIP rather than fit a different engine. If you do go for an ex mil Bedford 500 (which I don't think is a good idea) make certain that the rear crankshaft oil seal is not leaking.

John

Dear All,

I would have thought the first step would be to ensure that the vehicle is pulling properly with the engine it has. I take it that it is being run empty or with only a small load. And a very silly question: It has got the turbo charged engine for the MJ and NOT the naturally aspirated MK engine.

I also think that it would be a lot easier make 'final adjustments' the FIP rather than fit a different engine. If you do go for an ex mil Bedford 500 (which I don't think is a good idea) make certain that the rear crankshaft oil seal is not leaking.

John

The vehicle has a pretty good engine, pulls well but does have a radio body to haul and a trailer with Volvo anti tank vehicle on the back, just short of 3.5 tons. We run fully loaded just short of 11 tons. On motorways and reasonable inclines she runs ok but now and again circumnstances conspire to make us have to climb a hill with no momentum. I am not after top speed just a little more pace on a hill. Looks like the 5 speed is the best/easiest option.