Counterfeit Vietnam era GI wristwatches on eBay

ruxy

Question

I may be stupid ,, but BUT was this bloke not a bit naive - expecting a new watch , or at least a new watch-strap on a old and possibly operational refurbished mechanism ?? - all for £35

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/money-saving-tips/jessicainvestigates/11227942/EBay-Money-Back-Guarantee-my-battle-over-fake-watch.html

Seems to me Telegraph with DM standard of reporting , IF Mr John Bell had taken a screen-print of the actual eBay listing and the DT had printed same - then possibly my interpretation of events may be different ??

3 answers to this question

Perhaps he was a bit naïve, but the Telegraph article doesn't say how he bought the watch - in particular if it was an auction listing and he got 'lucky', it may well have gone for less than the true value.

The thrust of the article is more to do with eBay's handling of the complaint than the watch itself though, and I have to say it seems to me typical of eBay's very limited resolution procedure, poor customer service and laissez faire attitude.

This purchase probably pre-dated the latest eBay selling rules :-

Here is part of the new eBay sellers responsibility update ......

" Starting from 15 September (2014) , we will introduce requirements that all sellers take responsibility for return postage on items which are faulty or not as described ........ for those sellers who choose not to facilitate a return or provide/fund return postage for items that are faulty or not as described, we may refund their buyers without requiring them to return the item and in turn we will seek reimbursement from sellers ".

Prior to this the buyer had to provide the return postage so this should prove interesting with the unscrupulous buyers out there so beware if you sell ,,