FV432 Ballistic Protection level (Stanag)

robin craig

Question

Good day,

I am trying to settle a dispute that needs documents for me to prove the point.

Can anyone point me to any document on the web or any manual that states to what level of protection the original FV432 family were built to please?

To make it very clear, I do not need the Bulldog upgrade level details

Thanks in advance

R

8 answers to this question

I'd be surprised if you can find any reference to a STANAG. The best I can see is the description in AESP 2350-T-250-101 (Purpose and Planning Information) that simply says: "The FV432 was designed, primarily for use in Europe, to meet the requirement for a light armoured tracked vehicle to transport ten Infantryman in full battle order and their weapons safely in battlefield conditions."

Andy

What you really need is the FVRDE Secification. I have about 150 of these but few cover AFVs, those that I have found refer to the Constructional Specification where I think you will find what you need. Whether it will quote a Standard is another thing.

For current designs there is a clue in DEF STAN 23-7 Design Guidelines for Armoured Fighting Vehicles chapter 14. Here it quotes Specifications that may be quoted in a design based on various levels of protection defined in a STANAG.

STANAG 4569

Annex A - KE threats

Annex B - Landmines

If you google the STANAG you will find the various levels of protection.

I do have FVRDE Specs for FV420 & FV426, I can't currently find them. But I don't know how similar the degree protection was compared with the FV430 series.

Good day,

I am trying to settle a dispute that needs documents for me to prove the point.

Can anyone point me to any document on the web or any manual that states to what level of protection the original FV432 family were built to please?

To make it very clear, I do not need the Bulldog upgrade level details

Thanks in advance

R

Original ?

that might be tough to find. May be easier to find the specs that were issued for Tender. I have in my bookshelf at home series of Docs that I had when I worked for a local PMC, and there is some comparative analysis of different AFV platforms as we were doing the A3 RISE M-113 upgrades at the time, I'll have a look this evening when I get home.

I do recall that the FV 432 was on par with the A1 M-113 (.30 ball, shell splinter, AP light AT mine....good luck to you with anything bigger than TM-57 though....)

You may find a cross ref. with the US Army TACOM (Tank Command) historic data, as they tested everyone else's stuff.

Just so you know, I'm going to set up a reference Library at the new site, so, in the future, if you need anything, we might have the reference you need. (We are collecting book and docs now as part of the collection)

cheers

Nick

I was hoping to find something in the Bulldog project that might say something like "The FV432 doesn't even meet current standard ABC123 and hence needs raising to " but alas not as yet.

Still searching

R

Bulldog itself didn't do anything to the FV430 hull, it just fitted a new engine and gearbox. You'd be looking for the specification for the Theatre Entry Standard for Afghanistan etc. I'm not sure that would be in the public domain.

Andy

some interesting responses, we seem to be getting closer.

I need to prove a point, with someone who doesn't want that being done, so I need ironclad documentation.

I am not at liberty to explain much more than that, but I need to be able to drop a sheaf of papers on the table if push comes to shove.

Clive yours sounds like it is close

R