British can from 1937, for which vehicle please?

the_shadock

Is it definitely '37' ? The top loop looks to be closed at the front.

This is a 1939 version.

P1121304_zpsa7719e3e.jpg

Prior to the adoption by the British of the 'Jerry-Can', the two gallon can was the standard vehicle fitment, with bulk quantities being handled by the single-use 'flimsies'.

Does anyone have a spare pourer for one of these, by the way ?...or a FANY to assist me ?

A1940C9999999_zpsb33cd271.jpg

There shouldn't be an issue with this being a 1937 can - and considering the BEF lost so much kit in 1940, no real surprise if this has been found in France. But being inter-war it is something of a rarity now.

Out of interest, when was the earliest W^D embosed can produced? I've seen 1932, 1933 and 1935.

well, the previous owner told me that the can has been found near Argentan, in Moulins sur Orne, along the railway. However, he was not sure that the can was abandoned there in 1944 (even if the area was liberated by British troops of the 53rd Infantry Division), and this could be a remain of the 1940 battles, as you mentioned. Who knows...

Pierre-Olivier

• 2 months later...