JUst back from Ypres /Somme tour

paulob1

Just been on a trip around the battlefields with the friends of Duxford. Lovely trip, took my father who had a fall on the ferry and hurt his leg so I was carer for the trip but not too bad,...very interesting trip and learned a great deal about the first world war that I did not know...

Just been on a trip around the battlefields with the friends of Duxford. Lovely trip, took my father who had a fall on the ferry and hurt his leg so I was carer for the trip but not too bad,...very interesting trip and learned a great deal about the first world war that I did not know...

Been on the Somme recently and seen live granades placed on the side of the road, even one in a recently harvested field.

Scary stuff.

I visited over the summer for my first real WW1 trip, barely touched the surface really. Will return again. Although I'd studied WW2 items of interest in the Northern France/Belgium area I never knew how close some of the WW1 battlefields were to these sites.

Scott

I visited over the summer for my first real WW1 trip, barely touched the surface really. Will return again. Although I'd studied WW2 items of interest in the Northern France/Belgium area I never knew how close some of the WW1 battlefields were to these sites.

Scott

You mean, the same place? :D There are also acounts of those digging trenches in the great war unearthing muskets and artifacts from from earlier wars.

yes me too, I am a cold war man but I obviously cut my teeth on the second world war...1st world war was between my school interests, 1887 to 1914, and my long term interest the cold war so never done and study on it...am doing now...very interesting just how many mistakes were made at the expense of many many lives...WAR I guess. loads of death and mayhem, sometimes thrown in with a bit of downright good luck, and most important overwhelming forces...

and all for our freedom...thank heavens we do not forget these people....I think the middle east already has...war seems to be their way of life...