Mynarski Lancaster at the former RAF Middleton St George - Aug 28th

On Wednesday August 27th, the Mynarski Lancaster landed at the former RAF Middleton St George, now Durham Tees Valley Airport. It flew in for a big open day on the 28th. I had my Follow Me Jeep there, and took a friend who had just missed out on the limited car passes. Between us, we took about 1500 photos, a small selection of which are shown here. It was a bright sunny day, all the way up to the Lanc being towed out for a flight, then a heavy rain squall came in. Fortunately it passed by the time the Lanc was taxiing down the main runway, but rather than a nice blue sky for photos, it was dull white cloud.

lanc1.jpg

The real stars of the event.

lanc17.jpg

lanc19.jpg

lanc20.jpg

Thursday was a special day for Maurice Jennings. His Hillman staff car was based at Middleton St George during the war, and he has a wartime photo of it, parked under the nose of a Lancaster. 70 years later, the scene was repeated.

lanc7.jpg

lanc18.jpg

lanc26.jpg

lanc31.jpg

lanc3.jpg

lanc14.jpg

Unfortunately I didn't get to do this for real. It was planned in meetings before hand, but organisation on the day went out of the window. The best I got was a static photo with the Lanc parked behind, so I've combined that picture with one of the taxiing shots.

lanc15.jpg

lanc27.jpg

lanc35.jpg

lanc47.jpg

lanc45.jpg

lanc72.jpg