Ferret Tyre Questions

61Ferret

Hello All. A few questions on Ferret tyres. For those of you who have replaced your Ferret tyres with recent manufactured bar grip tyres, did you or are you able to reinstall the original runflat inserts. Are the bar grip tyres 8ply or greater? What is the number of ply's or ply rating on original Dunlop Trak Grips used on Ferrets?

Regards, Terry.

This has recently come up.

16 PLY rating or greater is the only safe tyre ply, This is because of the weight (especially at the rear) and the possible top speed of the vehicle.

If not using the run flat inserts tyre flaps or tyre bands should be used.

Diana

Hello All. A few questions on Ferret tyres. For those of you who have replaced your Ferret tyres with recent manufactured bar grip tyres, did you or are you able to reinstall the original runflat inserts. Are the bar grip tyres 8ply or greater? What is the number of ply's or ply rating on original Dunlop Trak Grips used on Ferrets?

Regards, Terry.

Diana. Thanks for the reply. I was considering some trak grips from Specialty Tire in the U.S.A. that are 10 ply with a maximum single tyre load rating 2965 lbs at a 60 psi cold inflation pressure. They seem adequate but same supplier also carries a 14 ply tire with a single tyre load rating of 4275 lbs. I believe that I read the posts where you recommended and or used the 16 ply tyres and would like to know what the single tyre load rating is on those tyres so that I can consider/compare to the tyres from Specialty Tire.

Regards, Terry.

Determine the axle weight, determine the max speed at which the vehicle is likely to travel.

From tyre manufacturers data determine the max axle load per PAIR of tyres - it's normally given per pair (and not per tyre) so be aware of that - and the maximum speed of the chosen tyres.

If the tyre is within safety limits then check with the tyre manufacturer what the tyre pressure should be against axle load and recheck if the tyre is still within limits.

If the speed and weight go up then the load ability of a tyre decreases. Its different for every tyre manufacture.

I believe there is a fitting problem with the beads of US tyres on Ferret rims so checkout this forum.

Diana

Diana. Thanks for the reply. I was considering some trak grips from Specialty Tire in the U.S.A. that are 10 ply with a maximum single tyre load rating 2965 lbs at a 60 psi cold inflation pressure. They seem adequate but same supplier also carries a 14 ply tire with a single tyre load rating of 4275 lbs. I believe that I read the posts where you recommended and or used the 16 ply tyres and would like to know what the single tyre load rating is on those tyres so that I can consider/compare to the tyres from Specialty Tire.

Regards, Terry.

Terry,

I will buy your old tyres and take them away.

I will be back down in the coming months to do work at a certain Newmarket location, so I can pop over to collect them.

R

Hi Robin. Not giving up the old/current tyres as yet but if and when I do, I shall contact you.

Terry.

Diana. Again, Thanks for replying to my questions...greatly appreciated. Have checked many threads/posts on HMVF and other forums about size difference between U.S./British tyres,rims and fit. If I have understood things correctly, post WW2 Ferret alloy rims have the 5 degree bead angle which I understand to be the same as WW2 and post WW2 U.S. tyres and rims. If I've misunderstood what I've read...please advise. Shall check with Specialty Tire about their tyre specs and whether the rating is per each or pair of tyres.

Terry.

Terry,

if you want to borrow a wheel while investigating this route I have a spare wheel in my jumble of parts that I am willing to loan you if it helps your tyre folks assess the subtle nuances of the beads.

That would allow you to still have a complete vehicle for displays etc while that is going on.

Will you be coming up to Coe Hill this year?

R

Terry,

if you want to borrow a wheel while investigating this route I have a spare wheel in my jumble of parts that I am willing to loan you if it helps your tyre folks assess the subtle nuances of the beads.

That would allow you to still have a complete vehicle for displays etc while that is going on.

Will you be coming up to Coe Hill this year?

R

Hi Robin. May take you up on the offer to borrow your spare wheel/rim. Can you put me in touch with Dan Sicotte. He has posted info/replies about tyres on Maple Leaf Up and I would like to ask him some questions. Unfortunately I have not been able to get registered on Maple Leaf Up. Have sent you a pm with my email address and phone number so that it can be passed along to Dan.

Thanks and Best Regards, Terry.