Ferret Brake Adjusters

Sylvester

Question

Hi Folks, .... Now I know I'm a bit dim but......

Have looked through the workshop manual but ... can't find, how to adjust the brakes properly :banghead:

Two adjusters, inner & outer, looking at it as if you are sitting in the wheel arch, is it clockwise or anti ?? also which one does what?? :rtfm:

I know it should be in the book but my copy only has details of the Disc brake version found on the later models! :nut:

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated :thankyou:

Before I reverse it out of my back garden and carry on into nextdoors!! :oops2:

All the Best Folks

Fred :banana:

8 answers to this question

Two adjusters, inner & outer, looking at it as if you are sitting in the wheel arch, is it clockwise or anti ?? also which one does what?? :rtfm:

Fred,

If you were to look straight at the backplate and adjusters, they adjust up by turning clockwise and release anticlock. The idea is to have two spanners, 3/4" AF, hold one and tighten the other until wheel is just gripped, release about 2 notches (feel them), or until wheel is just free. Then hold that adjuster and do same with the other. One does the front shoe, other the rear. It is sometimes best to release both of them first, in case one is dragging making it difficult to sense when the wheel is free. Don't forget to jack up both wheels on that side when you do it and also be aware of the transmission drag.

Richard,

Thanks for that mate, mind you they are fitted top n bottom not front n rear, so that got me wondering! Ha Ha! :what:

Also, I noticed on your list of kit, that you have a Bedford QLD... any chance you could show a picky of her? My Dad used to drive a Bedford Ql? through the war from D-Day+1 to 46 but all I have is a photo of him stood by front drivers side wheel and cant see if it is all canvas top or half n half etc.

Just a little curiosity mate? :wave:

Cheers

Fred :banana:

Thanks for that mate, mind you they are fitted top n bottom not front n rear, so that got me wondering! Ha Ha! :what:

Also, I noticed on your list of kit, that you have a Bedford QLD... any chance you could show a picky of her? My Dad used to drive a Bedford Ql? through the war from D-Day+1 to 46 but all I have is a photo of him stood by front drivers side wheel and cant see if it is all canvas top or half n half etc.

Ah the brakeshoes, that was the deliberate mistake to see if you knew :whistle:

I have attached a photo of my QL, not recent, but taken on Asnelles beach on D-Day 2004

Hi Richard,

Thats the Beauty, will try t dig out that photo and send it, He was on D-Day +1 Sword Beach, all the way through to Germany, in fact, when we were watching the Band of Brothers series, he vertually went everywhere they went! He was also one of the guys who took the boats up to Arnhem... Bridge to Far!! He died when I was about 9, but I have researched his war years, he had a mascot on the front of his truck, he went through the whole War without a scratch, ( It Worked ) but he was being driven home on demob ( Driving Permit ran out Day before!) he was in a smash with another truck at a cross roads and suffered a fracture scull, leg and they burnt him with the cutting equipement getting him out!!

Anyway mate, will be in touch, she really looks good.

All the Best

Fred

Hi Richard,

Thats the Beauty, will try t dig out that photo and send it, He was on D-Day +1 Sword Beach,

Thanks Fred,

In my eyes it is a true British army lorry and a beauty to drive. The photo was taken in 1996 (not 2004), just East of Arromanches. Look forward to seeing a pic of your father's QL.

Hi Richard,

As promised, my Dad and his QL, pictures were taken in Belgium...Somewhere?Hope they come out OK, the mascot was a horseshoe with a cherrub in the middle ( I think he 'found' it in the ruins of France)! Also, the ID Number is only painted on one side? He was with 8 Corps but was attached to 30 Corps for the Market Garden Operation, apparantly if you drove a lorry, you got sent anywhere that supplies were needed!

All the Best

Fred