CVRT J60 - a couple of mystery pipes - how much do they matter?

theredkite

A couple more pictures and questions. There are two flexible pipes which come out of the air cleaner and the metal housing that sits on top of the carburetor. The one from the air cleaner has split where it joins the air cleaner - how important is this? (Obviously ideally I'll replace it, but I'm trying to get the engine started and previously the engine was firing and then quickly dying). The one from the top of the carburetor has a big kink in it - same question really, does it make any difference? I can't find them in my parts catalogues, so if I do need to replace them some help properly identifying them would be great! Many thanks, as always, for any help. Mike

CVRT air cleaner pipe.jpg

CVRT carburettor pipe.jpg

From recollection these are the vacuum pipes for the dizzy. I guess for this reason they are 'hard walled' rather than flexi rubber. I dont think they are especially critical but may throw out the timing at certain revs?

From recollection these are the vacuum pipes for the dizzy. I guess for this reason they are 'hard walled' rather than flexi rubber. I dont think they are especially critical but may throw out the timing at certain revs?

They draw air through the distributor to allow it to ventilate, nothing to do with timing.

As long as the pipes connect to something upstream of the carburettor, then there should be no problem. It is when a pipe connects to something downstream of the carb, between the carb and the engine, that you can have problems.

trevor