Can anyone tell me what the official designation is for this welding plant?

What is the other guy doing, pulling some kind of pull-thru through the barrel to clean it? I have never seen a tank barrel cleaning kit, what would it contain?

Now that reminds me of an old joke - what is the weight of a pull-thru?

trevor

Not my area, but ...

1. that looks like a portable welder set on a trolley, rather than a one piece thing.

2. Tanks have shipping stencils, no headlights, so I'd guess that this was a commissioning area and the chap with the pull through was removing shipping preservative from the bore of the weapon.

What is the other guy doing, pulling some kind of pull-thru through the barrel to clean it?

Did your Mum not teach to you to never answer a question with a question!:undecided:

So, getting back on topic, does anyone know what the official name of this welder was?

And back off topic... :red:

I see that this is the Leicester AFV repair depot, which I have discovered was located on the site of a future housing development. They had only got as far as laying out the roads by the outbreak of war, and so these roads were used to store AFVs that were being prepared for issue or which returned for major repairs or overhaul. Sometime after the war they finally got to build the houses. So, where this shot was taken could be someone's front garden now, or shop.

trevor

JoelH,

thanks for that info, you're a star mate. So, it's American kit...that explains a lot! That document you linked me to is wonderful thanks for that also!

Rgds

Pete

You are very welcome. The majority of American military vehicle manuals are available freely online (unlike the British equivalents).

Joel.