D Wickham lightwight dumpers

Does anybody know anything about D Wickham & Co. Ltd of Ware whoy made Rail Trolleys and for a relatively brief spell in the 1950’s they made lightweight Dumpers – Mark I to Mark 5 built between 1952 & 1957.

Thanks

Hi Tim,

Some years ago, when working for the Army, we used to get some Wickham target trolleys in for repairs. They were driverless narrow gauge railcars powered by a large JAP v-twin side valve engine with a fluid coupling. The guys who operated these on a local range would use one to ride on to shunt them back and when the governors were overridden it was an exhilarating ride! I think they dated late 1930's by the engine. cannot tell you much more. There was a long narrow gauge rail system on the range.

regards, Richard

• 6 months later...

If you want to know anything about D Wickham & Co. Ltd, I suggest you join the Wickham of Ware Facebook, Flickr & Yahoo! Groups.

There is also a book (published by Rockingham Press) about the Company but unfortunately it is out of print now.

With regards to the Lightweight Dumpers, I would be very interested in any information. In the last 8 years I have seen two sold. One at a Cheffins Auction in Cambridgeshire & one on eBay.

If you know of any surviving examples, details would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Jonathan

Owner & Moderator - Wickham of Ware Online Groups