RAF Museum Hendon

Stryker James and I went to the RAF Museum over easter. For some reason they chose to use a school holiday to have bits of it closed for maintenance or whatever. However, the aircraft were all on hand and this was enough for the lad. He was very impressed with the bombers and especially the old stringbags of WW1 which are displayed in the Graham-White factory hangar. I always look forward to seeing the bombers - especially the Lanc and the recovered Halifax. I haven't been to Hendon since 1990-91 and there was a lot of new stuff to see. The Milestones hall is very impressive.

The Battle of Britain hall was most disappointing. The place seemed to be in emergency lighting and the upper floor was closed. Worse still, when they held a film show the rest of us had to leave because all the lights were turned off. All a bit ruritanian for my liking.

As ever, with me, you get a story. In 1990 my wife and I went to Orkney. The reason why is now lost. I wanted to visit the Stromness Museum to see relics of the scuttled Hun fleet from 1919. While there we encountered several members of the Hudsons Bay society from the US/Canada who were holding their convention in the AA one star Stromness hotel. The lady on the museum counter allowed one of them to buy a ticket and then told him they were closing for lunch in ten minutes...to which he responded, but I only have an hour here before I return to Chicago. "Oh well..perhaps you'll come back and see us again some time". Basil Fawlty museum management at it's best...maybe Hendon needs to wake up a little too.

Shame about the closed bits, but its the usual thing of staff shortages (Due to sickness), they are recruiting more staff but they won't be fully on strength for about a month after they start due to training etc.

Now on to the BofB, the lighting has been a issue since the 'Our finest hour' film show was installed, the lighting is kept low due to the types of lighting in use for it, you need to try and get along when the show isn't working then all the lights are put on :-D.

But some very nice pics taken which is always good to see (but no Humber armoured car! :cry:).

Thanks Colin and Richard for your comments...and you too, Prince of Thieves (Dorset Branch).

I have always loved RAFM and will go back. I was very peed off I couldn't show James the Bf110, Ju88 and He111 in decent light or take my usual pix -to match ancient snaps from the 70s 80s and 90s. The museum can be a bind to get to round the M25 and it took us an age to get home to Westcliff. James was very impressed, nonetheless. We had a good look at the Humber. A gem, but it was surrounded by kids and we moved on. I did snap the Crossley and Model T in the Grahame-White factory. Panther bikes - I have heard of them. I think it is good the museum doesn't just concentrate on aircraft. I wanted to show James the RR armoured car, but I think that is upstairs. Maybe next time.

• 1 month later...

I wanted to show James the RR armoured car, but I think that is upstairs. Maybe next time.

The old Rolls Royce is long gone into storage, couldn't tell you exactly but a few years now.

• 1 month later...

Any chance of getting the Rolls back on display? As such a famous vehicle, and there's only two that I know of in the UK (RAFM's and Bovington's), would be nice to have it on display, i've never seen one before unfortunately.

• 1 year later...