Hi and apologies from an ex Tankie

Hi Ian 'Gus' Daniells here. Although I joined the Forum on 2010 I have not been an active member but things have changed. I am ex 1st Royal Tank Regiment (1972 - 1999) having served/crewed on Saracen, Ferret Mk 1, 2 and Mk 5, CVR(T) Scorpion, Spartan and Sultan and finally Chieftain Mk10/Mk11 before becoming a shiny pants. This year I am going to Normandy to arrive in Arromanches on 7th June which was the same day as 1RTR did in 1944 and then follow the 1RTR route through Normandy until they started the great swan from Liseaux on the last day of August 1944. I will be doing it in a replica Jeep that all be auctioned off at the end of next years drive through Holland and Germany to Hamburg where they finished on VE Day with 7 Armoured Div/22nd Armoured Bde. So a bit of an adventure for an old man and it is covered in 1RTR Normandy Revisited 2014 where the build up by 1RTR is covered. Glad to be a member here where there is so much information on Mil Vehicles.

You bring the biccies! :-D P.S. Whilst your both out that way. Visit the villiage of Tilly Sur Seulles. The CWWG cemetry is at the entrance to a place called Jerusalem Farm. They make the World's best Calvados! But only sell it from the farm. Like drinking liquid sunshine! :nut:

You bring the biccies! :-D P.S. Whilst your both out that way. Visit the villiage of Tilly Sur Seulles. The CWWG cemetry is at the entrance to a place called Jerusalem Farm. They make the World's best Calvados! But only sell it from the farm. Like drinking liquid sunshine! :nut:

If its along our route then I will be paying a visit ;)

If its along our route then I will be paying a visit ;)

Make it So! :cool2: Just to give you an idea. When the CWWG came to exhume the casualties From the hamlet of Chouain, to take them to Bayeux, the locals kicked off. They claimed these men has come to free the village, they had fought and died for the villiage, and had been buried by the villiage. The Villiage was responsible for and to these men, not strangers. http://www.normandie44lamemoire.com/versionanglaise/fichesvillesus/tillyus2.html

jer farm.JPG

1485.jpg

Edited by Tony B