bedford mw angle iron imperial size

Danny P

Somebody who can recommend a steel constructor in King's Lynn, Norfolk? A friend is going to visit the UK and he will bring me some angle irons for my bedford mw 15 cwt body. I will need 1 1/2" x 1 1/2 " x 3/16" angle irons which are on the floor of the body if I'm right. Dutch angle irons are 40 mm versus british 38 mm angle irons. Yes, these issues are Dutch restorers dealing with!

Thanks,

Danny

Sorry Danny, but only 40 x 40 is readily available in the UK - all black rolled steel section has been metric for quite a while now. You can still get bright imperial flats and round, but bright angle has gone metric too.

If someone can prove me wrong I'd be delighted!

Or are you wanting to get some 38 x 38 angle made up by folding or fabricating?

Sorry Danny, but only 40 x 40 is readily available in the UK - all black rolled steel section has been metric for quite a while now. You can still get bright imperial flats and round, but bright angle has gone metric too.

If someone can prove me wrong I'd be delighted!

Or are you wanting to get some 38 x 38 angle made up by folding or fabricating?

Not strictly true, the heavier rolled sections, such as UB and UC are still Imperial sizes, though quoted in metric, i.e. 203x 102 but Tony is correct about the angles and flats, they have been metric for well over 30 years. Channels went to metric parallel flange a few years ago too.

It's all very annoying when trying to replicate original parts!