Removing Saladin bevel box

Aussie

Question

The gift that keeps on giving. Front bevel boxes are seized (full of water instead of oil) so they need to come out. Have undone all the nuts on outer flange and removed pinion housing. But it won't come out (no surprise, really). EMER says use two 7/16UNF extractor bolts but don't show a picture of what these look like or where they fit. Can anyone help? The other option is to jack them out from the inside of the hull but seems a trifle brutal.

Thanks, James.

9 answers to this question

The gift that keeps on giving. Front bevel boxes are seized (full of water instead of oil) so they need to come out. Have undone all the nuts on outer flange and removed pinion housing. But it won't come out (no surprise, really). EMER says use two 7/16UNF extractor bolts but don't show a picture of what these look like or where they fit. Can anyone help? The other option is to jack them out from the inside of the hull but seems a trifle brutal.

Thanks, James.

Any change you have a picture? I had to remove my front left bevel box, but everything on it has to come off before you can remove it, speedo, parking brake, and output shaft housing.

Thanks guys. Solved the problem by scraping the muck off the outer face. Found two threaded holes at 1 and 7 o'clock, after digging grunge out of them. Will thread bolts into those and they should wind the case away from the hull. Safer than what I was trying. The shaft was stuck in the bevel box so I put an hydraulic ram between the shaft coupling and the hull, and jacked - and jacked - - the bevel box moved out to the end of the bolts then suddenly the shaft exploded out of the box and landed 5 feet away. Fortunately my head wasn't in the way but SWMBO has threatened to get it all towed away before I do myself more serious damage. Promised to be more careful. Also solved a puzzle as to why that wheel free-wheeled (until the wheel bearings seized) - someone obviously broke the tracta shaft (presumably wound up the transmission too much) and just removed it! Simple really! Pity they didn't put a bit of oil back in.

Left camera at work but will post a pic later, either here or on MV resto "Ozzie Saladin"

James

Thanks guys. Solved the problem by scraping the muck off the outer face. Found two threaded holes at 1 and 7 o'clock, after digging grunge out of them. Will thread bolts into those and they should wind the case away from the hull. Safer than what I was trying. The shaft was stuck in the bevel box so I put an hydraulic ram between the shaft coupling and the hull, and jacked - and jacked - - the bevel box moved out to the end of the bolts then suddenly the shaft exploded out of the box and landed 5 feet away. Fortunately my head wasn't in the way but SWMBO has threatened to get it all towed away before I do myself more serious damage. Promised to be more careful. Also solved a puzzle as to why that wheel free-wheeled (until the wheel bearings seized) - someone obviously broke the tracta shaft (presumably wound up the transmission too much) and just removed it! Simple really! Pity they didn't put a bit of oil back in.

Left camera at work but will post a pic later, either here or on MV resto "Ozzie Saladin"

James

Good to hear you are making progress! Pics will be very welcome!

Pics of the offending RF Bevel box.

First shows box partly jacked out (then the shaft exploded off so I lost my anchor point for the jack)

RFB4.jpg

Second shows the outer face of the box

RFB 5.jpg

Third, after scraping mud etc off, shows two threaded holes top right and bottom left. Bolts screwed into these will push the box out (more safely then jacking it!)

RFB6.jpg

Now off to buy some bolts..

Edited by Aussie

I'm stuck! Well the FR and FL bevel boxes are, and I'd really appreciate help from folks who have got these out, bearing in mind that I think the problem is rust but might be missing something obvious.

I've removed pinions, cables and inner housings, so can't see anywhere that should be catching. However when I tried the extractor bolts the boxes moved out easily enough to be flush with the ends of their mounting studs, but then no further, and really solidly stuck - no give at all.

SalBB1.jpg

Not to be deterred, I put my trusty 3/4" bar breaker on, and managed to snap off one of the extractor bolts (High tensile). Knew it would happen but .. should have known better.

SalBB2.jpg

Plan C was to put a jack between the boxes but that didn't work - no movement at all. Felt as if I was just trying to jack the sides of the hull apart - very solid!

SalBB3.jpg

Plan D was a heavy hammer with the above - no help

Plan E was to squirt Penetrene on the outer bit showing, then tap the box back in, then Penetrene to the inner aspect, then extract. Repeated this several times but still sticks at exactly the same spot.

Plan F will probably be to heat the hull housings and try A to E again, but while 99% is rust there's now a fair bit of Penetrene around so not sure that this is completely safe/sensible.

So I'm out of easy solutions for this and really do need some inspiration.

James

Edited by Aussie

Aussie/James

I have not tried this job yet and watch your threads with interest as one day I will end up doing the same jobs.

I do have some very good books on my stalwart for this, but I should imagen you have the same for the saladin.

I know the workshop books are not easy to follow.

Are the dowels removed from the inside of the housing...........the one that locates into the slot on the inner tracta joint......would that dowel stick though to the bevel box housing some how.

Would you be able rub the corrosion off with engineers emery cloth feeding it around the bevel box housing .

Could you borrow a porta power kit or purchase a chinese one and use that instead of a jack as you would be able the push the bevel boxes apart more accurately and with more force .....2 tonnes of the screw jack , verses 10 tons of a porta power cylinder.

Is there any other dowels locating something inside....I think there is.......and would that dowel protrude though to the out side of the bevel box ?..............what locks the big special bearing nut inside the bevel box ?

I hope my thoughts help .

Ron

Thanks Andy. You're a life saver!

Another duhhhh moment. I had taken off the big drain plugs but after your post I stuck my finger up the hole and discovered another plug (the culprit). It is on the Parts pic (16) but I hadn't spotted it.

Sall BB1.jpg

Two pics: one with the plug where it should be (i.e. box flush with hull) and the second with it jammed.

Sal BB2.jpg

Sal BB3.jpg

And the two plugs

Sal BB4.jpg

The boxes then came out without protest. I guess my two things to remember are

1. If it feels like you're pushing metal against metal you most likely are, and should have another look around

2. Must remember that the plug will need to go back in after the bevel boxes are back in position. And, of course,

3. If you can't figure something out, ask for help!

Thanks again

James

Edited by Aussie