Clansman 353

JakLomas

Hi,

I recently bought a clansman 353 and all the other bits and pieces and was wondering what else I would need to make up a base station setup for example AC Adaptor to make it work, also do the regular 2 pin power cables fit?

Thanks Jak

You would need an AC Power Supply Unit that gives you 24v into a Clansman 2 Pin power lead.

Ae wise, I would recommend an Elevated Very High Frequency (EVHF) antenna or pineapple mounted up as high as possible and the large and small co-ax cable to connect it to the radio.

Tragically, I got very excited when I saw your post, this is the burden of being a Clansman Regimental Signals Instructor....

Yes, you would be able to use a GSA, but only at low power settings, 50W will trash the GSA. Elements required would depend on the frequency you are using.

Other Ae systems that you can use are:-

Elevated Kit GSA (EKGSA)

Ground Mounted Monopole (GMM)

Inverted V

TUUAM and ARFAT if you've got long enough cables

You can even get into making your own Ae systems from D10 or R4 (copper wire) if you are that way inclined.

Edited by Brewstop

Just connect the ARFAT to the UK/VRC353 with the large control cable and small co-ax and connect the ARFAT to the TUAAM with a small co-ax and a Clansman 7 pin.

The ARFAT - TUAAM connection is where you can add a bit of extra length (not too much though)

My best advice is get an EVHF or EKGSA

Jak

If going the TUUAM/ARFAT route you should really use a No. 31 Mk 7 antenna base with two 1m rods and the cylindrical adapter under the rubber part of the base to completely duplicate the vehicle installation.

If using other antennas the EVHF is what would usually have been used with a dismounted 353, or a inverted-vee pointed in the right direction for rear links. The GSA and EKGSA are only usable up to the 15 watt setting but adequate for local use.

Power wise note that the 353 needs 3 to 4 amps on receive and up to 12 amps on transmit - the "10 amp" Widney Aish supplies intended for battery chargers tend to shut down when faced with a 353 on full power so you either need the 50A PSU, a vehicle supply, or batteries. I've always used a pair of 12V sealed batteries (ex UPS) in series attached to a LT box to use my 353s in the field as it's quieter and no heavier than a generator and 50A PSU !! At home I use a modern 24V 40A switchmode PSU which is way lighter and quieter than the 50A Clansman unit (and lacks certain disturbing failure modes inherent in all the Thorn PSUs of that vintage!)

Regards

Iain

73 de G0OZS