Smock combat camouflge windproof(sas mock)

boots dms

Recently aquired sas windproof smock circa 1984(it has field dressing pocket on arm).The actual material though is of the older pattern late 70,s 80,s type unlike most post 84 smocks.This is as new so quite rare I think in this condition.Its an excellent smock and only cost me £10.00:-\.I have an arctic smock also in this material but post 84 and two later arctic ones where the inner material is more white and there is no manafacturers name only contract number.Very pleased with it , and a nice addition to the collection.

PICT5556.jpg

PICT5557.jpg

PICT5558.jpg

PICT5560.jpg

Very nice and a mega bargain at £10, but are you sure the field dressing pocket dates it to post 84? I know this applies to the smock parachutists dpm, but the sas smock I've just posted also has the fd pocket and the old 1-8 sizing, which I thought was done away with for all British combat clothing in about 1979.

Smock with arm FD pocket in this thread, by a very well-informed forum member who attributes it to the 70s:

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?32212-Early-DPM-quot-SAS-quot-Windproof-Smock&highlight=sas+windproof

Your smock is very similar to mine in colour, old-style dpm as you say, and there seems a fair likelihood it was released onto the market in the same batch. I wonder if maybe you have a very early new-sized item, about 79 or 80.

Edited by Edward53

The smock shown has a field dressing pocket on the right arm. which does make it of post 84 manufacture. The material is a less reliable as a way of dating them. I also have examples where 'early' material was used after 1984! Some of the smaller scale producers seem to have had stocks for some time.

Still a bloody good tenners worth though....

Regards

Paul

Smock with arm FD pocket in this thread, by a very well-informed forum member who attributes it to the 70s:

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?32212-Early-DPM-quot-SAS-quot-Windproof-Smock&highlight=sas+windproof

Your smock is very similar to mine in colour, old-style dpm as you say, and there seems a fair likelihood it was released onto the market in the same batch. I wonder if maybe you have a very early new-sized item, about 79 or 80.

Thanks for your comments,I was,nt very clear in my description,the smock has pockets on both arms,the normal what I understand to be a pen pocket,common to gs and para smocks as well as windproofs,and the smaller pouch type first field dressing pocket on the right arm,which as Paul states dates the garment to post 1984.Mind you I also have an arctic smock in the older material,with afformentioned arm pockets,label with makers name in metric 180/104,but it also has rank tabs front AND back,which again I thought had dissapeared post 84.I have been after one of the "sas" smocks for a while and was very pleased when I got it ,as its in such good condition,a smashing garment.

Thanks for your comments,I was,nt very clear in my description,the smock has pockets on both arms,the normal what I understand to be a pen pocket,common to gs and para smocks as well as windproofs,and the smaller pouch type first field dressing pocket on the right arm,which as Paul states dates the garment to post 1984.Mind you I also have an arctic smock in the older material,with afformentioned arm pockets,label with makers name in metric 180/104,but it also has rank tabs front AND back,which again I thought had dissapeared post 84.I have been after one of the "sas" smocks for a while and was very pleased when I got it ,as its in such good condition,a smashing garment.

It's all good info, I am still a beginner in this field and this is the way to learn!

It's all good info, I am still a beginner in this field and this is the way to learn!

I know what you mean, I had a few old bits and pieces years ago,68 pattern etc,but did,nt realise the amount of interest or number of people interested in collecting this stuff untill I discovered the internet,and it just grew from there,into quite an obsession,lol.I,ve learnt so much from here on this forum over the past couple of years,and it seems to encourage my interest.

The FFD sleeve pocket first appeared on the replacement smock for the 68 pattern.......these appeared during 1984......it is thought that the FFD sleeve pocket was introduced as a result of Falkland's feed-back where troops clad in layers of upper clothing could not easily access the FFD pocket then located on the upper-right front of the 68 pattern and arctic windproof combat trousers..........(though most with any field experience by that time already carried additional dressings in other pockets, taped to webbing, etc)............

Accordingly, the design was applied to other garments from this point onward, primarily the tropical combat jacket, para smock, SAS and arctic windproof smocks...............we are looking at 84-85 here and the changeover was not overnight..........

Arctic windproof lost the rear rank tab late-80s with some manufacturers due to being useless when a pack was worn...............it did disappear with some as early as 84, but I have examples still bearing the rear rank tab that date from later...........

Metric sizing common from 84 onward........only the 68 pattern gear, pullys, KF shirts, liners, and some headgear and other items continued with the older numbered sizes............the period 83-85 was rather transitional.............and indeed, older stocks of fabric continued to be used up where available.............cotton gabardine in particular as used in arctic and SAS garments, was expensive so waste was not generally acceptable..........