70th Aniversary of Liberation of Jersey. Military Mania 2 May 9th 2015

Tony B

Happy New Year all! And a busy one no doubt with the Centenary of the Great War and 70th Anniversary of D- Day. But!! Plans are starting for 2015. The Jersey Military Vehicle Club are planning an event at the West Show Feild St Peter's Villiage for 2015. In addition to the public show there are also plans for various visits to bunkers etc, and probably school visits. If you want to see grown men quail, be parked about 300 meters from a school full of kids when it is announced to them a convoy of vehicles wil be visiting. The noise was deafening. Any one intrested I'll let you know as soon as I know anything.

• 2 months later...

Update , book early!! :cool2:

JMVC_1000.png

Update on Military Mania 2 - 70th Anniversary of the Liberation of Jersey, May 2015

** Show Ground booked from 4th - 11th May ** Show open to public Friday 8th and Sunday 10th May ** All participants in show will be involved in the celebrations in St Helier (our Capital) on Saturday 9th May - actual Liberation Day ** During the week leading up the 8th, various convoys and visits to Island fortifications will be organised but also allowing you the opportunity to explore the Island as you wish. This event will be free entry to members of the public and all donations will be split between 2 charities, the British Red Cross and Holidays For Heroes.

Since your initial interest, several meetings, etc have taken place. We have met with the Ferry company who is enthusiastic to support the event in the way of a discount for those travelling from the UK and France. We are waiting a formal response on how much of a discount can be offered. This week we have had discussions with Jersey Tourism Marketing section and this will lead to a tour operator being appointed who will co-ordinate all bookings for travel/accommodation for participants. Looking ahead - the options for accommodation will be hotels (with parking facilities), campsite for tents or camper vans, or for those living history groups wishing to stay on site from the 4th-11th May to use their own display area.

Like Normandy this year, our celebrations in 2015 will, more than likely, be the last 'big' event where people who lived through the Occupation will still be with us to celebrate. The chances are there will not be another Jersey event of this size - so don't miss it !!!!

Will keep you posted.

Cheers

Ricky and Therese Le Quesne

=

It sounds rather good, and organised, where does the ferry go from as I am not au fait with the South Coast ferries as they all seem to have changed since I last ventured South some time ago ?

When would one have to register, pay deposit and pay in full by please ?

Portsmouth for the conventional ferry, about 8 hours, capable of carrying any vehicle. Poole or Weymouth for the vomit comet, about 3 hours. The fast ferry can only carry smaller vehicles. Operator Condor Ferries.

i belive negotiations are in progress over ferry costs. Road travel to Portsmouth has improved considerable since the new road tunnel has opned.

• 3 months later...
Portsmouth for the conventional ferry, about 8 hours, capable of carrying any vehicle. Poole or Weymouth for the vomit comet, about 3 hours. The fast ferry can only carry smaller vehicles. Operator Condor Ferries.

i belive negotiations are in progress over ferry costs. Road travel to Portsmouth has improved considerable since the new road tunnel has opned.

Any more Info about this event Tony ? Who do we contact ? Is there a link ?