Battledress ribbon bar

Hoseman

I have just completed my first ww2 para uniform/equipment representing a para of 1944. I have just attended a local 1940's weekend to break it all in, even in the rain today 'manning my post' . Really enjoyed myself, chatting to veterans and kids about my kit and representation.

My query is what medal ribbon bar would be reasonably appropriate for a Sergeant of Parachute Regiment 1944? Also what order would they be in? I could work it out but wouldn't wish to make a silly "Newbie" mistake.

Any hints and tips greatly appreciated.

I am hoping to be out collecting for the British Legion this weekend with my local MVT and attend a couple of events for Rememberance.

thanks in advance

Most people would say that any kind of medal for valour would be a no no unless you have earned it.

The only campaign medal which would have been issued by this time would have been the Africa Star.

If you look old enough to be a pre-war Territorial (12 years service) you could wear the Territorial Efficiency Medal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efficiency_Medal

Most people would say however don't wear medals/ribbons you are not entitled to.

Most people would say that any kind of medal for valour would be a no no unless you have earned it.

The only campaign medal which would have been issued by this time would have been the Africa Star.

If you look old enough to be a pre-war Territorial (12 years service) you could wear the Territorial Efficiency Medal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efficiency_Medal

Most people would say however don't wear medals/ribbons you are not entitled to.

I understand that and respect.

I also wish to represent and pay homage to all those that served and paid the ultimate sacrifice!

I wear the para wings and never done a 'drop'!

I went to the dance last night in BD and trousers. Load of yanks in attendance, I was only para. They had ribbons and trade badges/awards.

I would NEVER wear gallantry ribbons, only service!

As for age, I am 47!

What about 39-45

What about Long service etc

Edited by Hoseman

You could try this one but as stated previous very few campaign medals were issued by this time. Google them to check.

Possibly a Jubilee Medal as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Service_and_Good_Conduct_Medal

Trade/Qualification Badges are a bit different and Americans seem to get medals for everything.

I wear my modern ribbons but a lot of people would say that is wrong as well but Joe public does not know the difference.

In my humble experience, arguments about wings - v - medals aside, medals and ribbons are a thorny subject..........

It is difficult to start differentiating between British gallantry awards and "service" (campaign) awards........for example, thousands of soldiers qualified for service awards (eg: Africa, Italy, Burma, etc) and many went through the thickest of action or equally traumatic circumstances without ever seeing any Gallantry award, very few achieving such notice..........and the same awards frequently went to those in rear areas who saw no conflict at all............to those who have served and qualified for medals, they represent far more than a simple flash of coloured ribbon....it's what lies behind each and every award, which includes in many cases vivid and dramatic pasts, memories, emotions, suffering and experiences....the ribbon is just the sign to that gateway that's often firmly closed by veterans of all ages......

I guess the "safest" option is represent the uniform and unit but leave out any thought of wearing ribbons that haven't been awarded or personally earned through either being somewhere or time served.........as mentioned, it's a sensitive subject that will never be resolved to suit all opinions...........

I wear wartime uniform to compliment my wartime motorbikes at various events and I'm entitled to wear both my former rank and medal ribbons for service and time-earned................but rarely do........the actual uniform is of far more interest than any feature of ribbons.........:-D (and besides that, I'd have to find 'em buried somewhere deep in me sock drawer......:()

Edited by wdbikemad

In my humble experience, arguments about wings - v - medals aside, medals and ribbons are a thorny subject..........

It is difficult to start differentiating between British gallantry awards and "service" (campaign) awards........for example, thousands of soldiers qualified for service awards (eg: Africa, Italy, Burma, etc) and many went through the thickest of action or equally traumatic circumstances without ever seeing any Gallantry award, very few achieving such notice..........and the same awards frequently went to those in rear areas who saw no conflict at all............to those who have served and qualified for medals, they represent far more than a simple flash of coloured ribbon....it's what lies behind each and every award, which includes in many cases vivid and dramatic pasts, memories, emotions, suffering and experiences....the ribbon is just the sign to that gateway that's often firmly closed by veterans of all ages......

I guess the "safest" option is represent the uniform and unit but leave out any thought of wearing ribbons that haven't been awarded or personally earned through either being somewhere or time served.........as mentioned, it's a sensitive subject that will never be resolved to suit all opinions...........

I wear wartime uniform to compliment my wartime motorbikes at various events and I'm entitled to wear both my former rank and medal ribbons for service and time-earned................but rarely do........the actual uniform is of far more interest than any feature of ribbons.........:-D (and besides that, I'd have to find 'em buried somewhere deep in me sock drawer......:()

Thanks for all the advice, I think just insignia is best which is how I have it now. My problem is I look SOOOO naked against all the guys depicting YANKS!!

As mentioned about the 1940`s service dance, there was the odd (very odd in some cases!!) Home Guard and mostly either civvies or Yanks!!

Felt a bit out of it in just my BD with insignia!

Thanks for all the advice, I think just insignia is best which is how I have it now. My problem is I look SOOOO naked against all the guys depicting YANKS!!

As mentioned about the 1940`s service dance, there was the odd (very odd in some cases!!) Home Guard and mostly either civvies or Yanks!!

Felt a bit out of it in just my BD with insignia!

Just remember one british squadie is worth two yanks.:-D

My old Dad - late of the Royal Lincolnshire & Royal Warwickshire Regiments - would've put that ratio considerably higher... :-D

Will remember that for the next bar fight at the 40`s dances!!!:cool2:

I will be the idiot shouting "Right, ive been told....Me against you five NOW!!!"

Please send my cards and flowers of condonence to......!!!:-X

Will remember that for the next bar fight at the 40`s dances!!!:cool2:

I will be the idiot shouting "Right, ive been told....Me against you five NOW!!!"

Please send my cards and flowers of condonence to......!!!:-X

Hmmm, well he was a boxer while in both regiments, so that might have stood him in good stead... ;)

Our unit (Queens Regiment) don't allow the wearing of any ribbons (since as mentioned it would really only be gallantry awards etc) and only allow trade or proficiency badges if you can prove similar levels of skill.

Remember those yanks will be wearing purple hearts (because of ingrowing toenails) and unit citations. They like to give out ribbons!