There is something about optics.....

Lanceng156

Myself and Paul ("Commando Sniper" on other forums) were a tad bored at home today while the WAG's were out shopping...

100_4130_zps8e390926.jpg

100_4131_zps14ee18d4.jpg

100_4132_zps9361a778.jpg

100_4111_zpsdc68320d.jpg

100_4112_zpsc8cd25ff.jpg

100_4119_zpse50c33e1.jpg

100_4120_zpsc96131c1.jpg

100_4121_zpse523cb8a.jpg

100_4122_zps8d8db09b.jpg

100_4123_zps92442b25.jpg

100_4124_zps4a0f37b4.jpg

100_4125_zps6cafed58.jpg

100_4126_zps7b50197e.jpg

100_4127_zps5a31e680.jpg

100_4128_zpsd4a66750.jpg

And finally, 78 years of British sniping history:

100_4141_zpsb4770470.jpg

For the non-believers, enjoy :)

Danny

l like this collection, are they live or deac? N01 mark 4 especially with the chin piece, may of gone to Holland and Holland for its tune up in the war? have you got it, in its box? You could now go onto the Mossin Nagant? Here's a pic of ours, we test ours most weekends and it amazing how much punch they pack!

P1010009.jpg

I am wetting myself.

N01 mark 4 especially with the chin piece, may of gone to Holland and Holland for its tune up in the war?

As far as I'm aware all the British No.4 Mk1s went to H&H for conversion, If a rifle was found to be well above average for accuracy during the sighting in at the production factory, the examiner marked the wrist with a TR. The rifle went off to H&H and then they rechecked the accuracy, if they rejected it, the rifle went back into the pooled stores with the TR mark and off it went. If it was accepted, it went through one of 2 small production lines, both of which used the same (I believe) jigs and gauges. Once the conversion was complete and a scope matched to the rifle, the inspector would mark the T on the body.

lm wetting myself. Not all no4 mark 1s went to Holland and Holland only a selected few. These rifles started as standard No.4 Mk1's that were hand picked for their above average accuracy. They were then shipped to Holland and Holland, H&H, where they were restocked, scope mounts added, and a scope fitted to the rifle.

lm wetting myself. Not all no4 mark 1s went to Holland and Holland only a selected few. These rifles started as standard No.4 Mk1's that were hand picked for their above average accuracy. They were then shipped to Holland and Holland, H&H, where they were restocked, scope mounts added, and a scope fitted to the rifle.

I think you may have misunderstood me, all the British No.4 Mk1 sniper rifles were by Holland and Holland, no other firm assembled them. The above average accurate rifles were marked TR before being sent to H&H and then H&H rechecked the accuracy and rejected the rifle it wasn't accurate enough. If it passed there test it went through the whole conversion. That's why its possible to see a bog standard No.4 rifle with the TR marking.

WELL! I'm going to flounce through the bar and out to my bike shed! :mad: You lucky.... The intial idea of pairing a Sniper shooter with the telescope was from the Lovat Scouts, formed of Schottish Ghilles. Legend has it that on one ocassion a spotter read the uniform markings of the German unit through the telescope, by looking down the German trench telescope. He was not belived. Subsequently a trench raid confirmed all he had said. The Scouts were never doubted agin.

just out of interest ...

how was the initial testing by Lee Enfield (or whoever else was assembling the rifle) to assert that a particular weapon was 'better' than one of the 100s of others done?...

.. were the weapons 'fired by hand' or in a jig of some sort so that all the weapons were held and fired to the same standard ??

Just pondering if and how the factor of one particular tester being a better shot than the other guys was eliminated ??