Scammell Crusader EKA GTW Query

Given the EKA was supposed to be based upon the 65t 6x4 Chassis, is there any reason (That anyone knows) why the design GTW is only 46740kg?

Its not likely to be a concern for us when we get ours refurbished and painted because no 3 axle coach is more than 24-26t empty but just an observation while I was digging about I happened accross the Weights Plate and it got me thinking.

I'm guessing the clue may be somewhere in the chassis code of : FMB4612180R

I've read that the 180 is the wheelbase in inches but am not sure how to decode the rest - somewhere I read that there is a production month & I'm guessing engine type and probably gearbox /axles also?

While trying to sort out the various items needing repair, we've noticed that the remote control doesn't work - does anyone have a wiring diagram showing where and how it joins the loom? I'm not too worried about the remote long term because I'd like to go Radio Control, but it'd be nice for the wired remote to work for now! Any ideas as where to start looking?

Any thoughs of info will be much appreciated

Jeff Hall

Scammell Crusader EKA : NPW987V

Given the EKA was supposed to be based upon the 65t 6x4 Chassis, is there any reason (That anyone knows) why the design GTW is only 46740kg?

Its not likely to be a concern for us when we get ours refurbished and painted because no 3 axle coach is more than 24-26t empty but just an observation while I was digging about I happened accross the Weights Plate and it got me thinking.

I've read that the 180 is the wheelbase in inches but am not sure how to decode the rest - somewhere I read that there is a production month & I'm guessing engine type and probably gearbox /axles also?

While trying to sort out the various items needing repair, we've noticed that the remote control doesn't work - does anyone have a wiring diagram showing where and how it joins the loom? I'm not too worried about the remote long term because I'd like to go Radio Control, but it'd be nice for the wired remote to work for now! Any ideas as where to start looking?

Jeff Hall

re the remote long long time since i had an eka but when i used it in its original configaration had problems with the brushes in the reel sticking but this would only affect one function. If the the remote dont work full stop them its a power supply problem eg emergency stop isolater switch in cab etc i cant remember the layout but it is a very simple system and as a last resort if you have a live and a negative to the reel it all should work.

As for train GWT i took it to mean the maximum it could tow a casualty at reduced speed un braked i had a sticker in the window on mine stating 45 tons 20mph unbraked gtw 65 t 20mph braked gtw sticker was applied by original owner MOD

Hi Steve

I figured if I could get the remote to work as is it'd save me cutting out the reel mechanism, it must not recoil anyway as its simply looped around the hook to the side of it..

The front winch switches in the cab work ok, as do the pull switches in the same locker as the levers, so there can't be much wrong wiring wise. I just wish I could get a proper wiring diagram.

As for the GTW I understand what you're saying. Presumably though does any operation over 44t need STGO plating anyway?

when we get it looking a little better I'll post photos.

Jeff

Jeff Hall

The basic 6x4 is an F4 and as you correctly say the 180 is the wheelbase (front axle to center of rear bogie). FYI a 65t tractor with Detroit 8V-71 is an F4 112 156HD.

The reduced GTW is simply down to the diff ratios compared with the tractor for gradient re-start.

I would be very surprised if any empty 3 axle bus/coach would be over 20 tons.

Mike

Just noticed Clive is on the case, he'll put you right.

Edited by radiomike7

• 5 months later...

Ah, that would imply the 65T t/u having more brake friction area thus needing a larger actuator to create the same or equal braking force..

So in calculating the GTW, there is a combination of axle loading, gradient restart and overall brake force available?

I'd certainly be interested is seeing how & what makes up the calculation.

Am still curious why the MOD or Scammell fealt the need to de-rate the chassis!