2014 London to Brighton Special Announcement

Great War truck

From the latest HCVS magazine:

The special class for next year's Brighton run will mark the commemoration of World War 1. This basically will include vehicles from the WW1 era and those derived from the Subsidy designs up to 1920, and WW1 military vehicles in particular will be warmly welcomed.

Well, we better get that in the calendar then.

The special class for next year's Brighton run will mark the commemoration of World War 1. This basically will include vehicles from the WW1 era and those derived from the Subsidy designs up to 1920, and WW1 military vehicles in particular will be warmly welcomed.

Tim, A chance to get the whole fleet out then! A logistical nightmare I am sure ;)

Yes indeed. Taking just the one is bad enough. I think the plan will be to take just the Dennis, but the WD Autocar is an alternative as that always runs sweetly. Our FWD is a big no. It just does not like getting hot. Getting it there once was hard enough but I am pleased we did it.

Tim, A chance to get the whole fleet out then! A logistical nightmare I am sure ;)

Tim, Richard made a good point there. Is there any plans that you know of for a big meet up of WWI lorries for the centenary next year? Would travel to see that and I am sure many others would too.

We have been invited to dozens and dozens of small events, all of which would be nice but we just cant do. I was expecting an invite for something big in London, but no sign of that yet.

Most WW1 trucks owners are not military vehicle people but commercial vehicle people and are therefore more inclined to do the HCVS London to Brighton run. Saying that we are contemplating having a gathering of WW1 trucks at Duxford next year, but that is just an idea that is being mulled around.

Good News,

Are all World War One Military Vehicles to be welcomed ?

Tom

My understanding is that the hope is to have as many WW1 commercial vehicles as possible but it's really up to owners to enter. Cars will be excluded though.

Do vehicle owners have to be a member of the HCVS to enter?

I understand the Beamish Museum is considering organising a more inclusive, representative event in the form of an authentic period convoy which will include genuine WW1 military Lorries, motorcycles and staff cars in conjunction with re-enactment groups. If this comes to pass it will present a unique photo opportunity not to be missed.

Tom

RCF Squadron.jpg

Typical Transport for RFC

Leyland  Bike & Staff car.jpg

Few Mixed convoy pictures exist.

Edited by Charawacky

Do vehicle owners have to be a member of the HCVS to enter?

I understand the Beamish Museum is considering organising a more inclusive, representative event in the form of an authentic period convoy which will include genuine WW1 military Lorries, motorcycles and staff cars in conjunction with re-enactment groups. If this comes to pass it will present a unique photo opportunity not to be missed.

I am sorry but you do. Your Crossley tender would make a nice addition to Brighton even if the car is not eligible.

The Beamish idea sounds great but it is going to be a very long journey for many WW1 truck owners which I think will put them off. Do keep us posted on the forum about that.

Some interesting comments made but I think all have missed the point that the 100th anniversary extends until the armistice in November 2018 so why is there a head long rush into doing something next year. Next years Brighton commercial run will not yet have reached the 100th anniversary. I am involved in a major project but the vehicle will not appear until after the August date and its usuage will extend to attending events both here and hopefully the other side of the channel until 2018. As for a grand gathering of WW 1 road transport, this I have looked into with a possible venue in the West Midlands which would be as central as possible for owners but there is still the logistical problem ( and cost ! ) of getting vehicles there, a type of private event where owners can be free to swap notes and have an enjoyable weekend. As we are all aware several WW1 lorries are in civillian colours, possibly because of heritage reasons but the first two WW 1 trucks I restored in the 1970s were in civillian colours and there was little or in fact no interest in military vehicles at the time. I think Jack Sparshat's Hallford found in almost unused condition at a glove factory at Slough was probably the first to be restored in WW 1 livery in 1957. Other museums who we do business with are also expressing a similar view that the anniversary will be spread over four years.

Richard Peskett.

Richard, I hope your event comes to fruition, after the centenaries are over the motivation of owners to take their vehicles some distance to an event will recede.

As you say there will be a considerable number of events in late 2014, from August and September mainly in France and Belgian then quiet until Anzac in April 2015, amongst other events there will be the Somme 2016, Passchendaele 2017 and the Armistice in 2018 after which the vehicles will have to wait for the bicentenary, a point not lost on me, apart from the Irish War of Independence!

In addition to honouring the memory of those lost, for me it’s also about mechanics, education (including my own), meeting interesting people and provoking road smiles to brighten the humdrum of daily life.

Hope to cross paths with you in France or Belgian 2014

Tom

• 8 months later...
Well tomorrow's the day, does anyone know how many WW1 era treats we expect to see on the run and what?

Those departing early beware it was -2 degrees here in Mid Sussex last night , long Johns might be needed!!

We are loading the Dennis this morning so that it will be at Crystal Palace for the Start at 7 a.m. tomorrow. The latest information that we have is that there are 17 vehicles with solid tyres in the Special Class of the WW1 era - but not all of them will be in military livery. Included are two newly restored AEC Y Types in military livery making their debut.

Tony

Tony,

Do you transport the Dennis with the roof section over the driver up?

I would have thought the greater wind and air pressure at speed could cause damage to the canvas.

Thanks

Doug

A small selection at Salfords a couple of hours ago....

IMG_5690 (1024x768).jpg

Steve said the stop was for apparent loss of power climbing out of Redhill.

IMG_5697 (1024x768).jpg

Bright sunshine but cold in wind....so can see the heavy period style coats are essential!

Hope to see some photos of you all in Brighton.

IMG_5700 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_5698 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_5695 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_5694 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_5693 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_5689 (1024x768).jpg

Tony,

Do you transport the Dennis with the roof section over the driver up?

I would have thought the greater wind and air pressure at speed could cause damage to the canvas.

Thanks

Doug

We have always carried the Dennis with its roof up - we thought about "wind pressure" on it but were not too concerned about it. But the Transporter Driver was - I don't know how fast he intended to go - but he threw two ropes across the Cab Roof section and tied them down as an extra bit of bracing - there was no trouble.

I guess better be sure than sorry!

Tony