Antique Firearms

Hello,

Knowing I have an interest in all things military, I have recently been asked about a WW1 German rifle that has been found.

I haven't seen it myself but the finder has reason to believe it is still live. Understandably the finder would like to keep the rifle if it is legally possible. All advice I've found so far says to phone the police and they will collect the weapon for destruction.

Is it possible to take the rifle to a gunsmith for deactivating to enable it to be kept legally or is this just opening going to open a different can of worms?

Thanks!

Hello,

Knowing I have an interest in all things military, I have recently been asked about a WW1 German rifle that has been found.

I haven't seen it myself but the finder has reason to believe it is still live. Understandably the finder would like to keep the rifle if it is legally possible. All advice I've found so far says to phone the police and they will collect the weapon for destruction.

Is it possible to take the rifle to a gunsmith for deactivating to enable it to be kept legally or is this just opening going to open a different can of worms?

Thanks!

http://content.met.police.uk/Site/firearmslicensingfaqs

Unexpected possession of a firearm – what should I do?

You are advised to contact either your local Police or Firearms Licensing Authority as soon as possible. Avoid placing yourself in danger or in jeopardy.

• If you find unlicensed weapons, for instance discovering them in your loft having just moved into a new address, do not handle them - they could be loaded and in a dangerous condition. Immediately call your local police who will remove them safely and dispose of them for you.
  • If you are left with firearms that you know had been legally held (this could be due to the death of a Certificate holder, who was a close relative) you have several options.

Temporary Permit - You could request a permit to allow lawful access to the weapons in order to give you time to decide the best means of disposal. The Police are empowered in such circumstances to issue a Temporary Permit, which would normally be restricted to possession only (not use) and be valid for a limited period of time, usually a month, but in certain circumstances can be longer. To request this, you need to contact the Firearms Licensing authority.

Registered Firearms Dealer - You could arrange for them to be placed with a Registered Firearms Dealer for storage and/or sale.

Certificate Holder - You may know of other Certificate Holders to whom they may be transferred (this would depend on them having sufficient storage and, in the case of guns that had been held on a Firearms Certificate, the authority to acquire that particular type of weapon).

Deactivation - Another alternative is to have the weapons ‘deactivated’, which would render them safe and remove them from all legislation relating to firearms. They would still retain the original appearance but would be incapable of discharging a missile.

Unliscenced firearms can be handed in to a registered Firearms dealear, who may be wiling to help with De-Activation. Especially if the weapon is of 'Historic intrest'. Obsolete calibre exemption can be a bit tedious. I know where a mixed rifle/shotgun was declared obsolete on one calibre, but not the other. As that weapon was also of historic intrest and in the care of one of the country's leading gunsmiths, you see the problem. A WW1 German Rifle, to me means either a Mauser 1895 or 1898 , neither are considered obsolete calibre. Regardless, unless it Proof House marked deactivated and certified in writing in the view of the law it is live!