DPM Arctic Windproof Smocks

wdbikemad

009.jpg

More car boot finds today......two arctic windproof smocks........one is brand new, a decent size and probably mid-90s manufacture on account of the FFD pocket, no rear rank tab nor manufacturers name on label...........the other almost new, but smaller size and early-mid 80s manufacture as FFD pocket (84) but still with rear rank tab........manufacturers name too, and rather an unusual one..........£4 for both.......couldn't refuse !!! :-D

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve,

I picked up 6x wind proof smocks (and a sniper smock) this weekend, all with wired hoods, one of them is labelled "This garment is intended for training purposes only", any idea what the difference is to a mormal one ?

Regards Gary

IMG_0070.JPG

IMG_0072.JPG

I can't be certain, but the last-ever generation of DPM combat smocks were almost a copy of the old arctic windproof but in a poly-cotton fabric, slotted buttons and velcro patch attachments on the upper arms.....almost a DPM version of the first generation MTP smocks in fact......these DPM smocks brought together many of the best features from years of development but it seems that issues weren't widespread before MTP came on line.......I saw some in use by RLC recruits only a couple of years ago and I'm wondering if the garments continued in production for largely field training before troops were deployed in either desert or awaiting/issued with the new MTP, hence marked "training use only"...? Earlier manufacture doesn't feature such a label thus was clearly intended for field use but I'm wondering if late production continued in DPM alongside MTP whilst stocks of the latter were accumulated for wear in pre-deployment training ? Just a theory and I don't know the correct answer.......

Edited by wdbikemad