Ex-RAAF 011 boat saved?? I hope so.

lynx42 Rick Cove

Where do I put this? Under Aviation or Navy, you decide.

Yesterday I recovered a piece of Australian RAAF equipment. It is a 25ft. RAAF tender launch. Unfortunately it has spent part of the last 20 years acting as a submarine. It was pulled from the water and dumped on land about 8 years ago under a canopy of trees and has deteriorated badly.

This is RAAF class 011 and is number 0118 and was used throughout WWII in the Gippsland Lakes based at Paynesville, Victoria, Australia.

In 1991 this vessel looked wonderful but it's submarine activity has certainly taken it's toll. In 1991 it was painted up for display at the 50th Anniversary of the Bairnsdale RAAF base about 15km. from where I live. I have a photo of it on display there and when I find it I will upload it.

Will it get back in the water? I don't know. I hope so, as the frames are still very good. The engine was either a Dodge or a Chrysler the same as the Dodge WC, so an engine won't be too hard to find. All the bronze fittings are there and the prop etc are in good condition.

Time will tell. At least it has been saver from the bonfire it was heading for.

I will give reports as and when we get into it.

Maybe a plan to put it in the Murray River at the Corowa Swim-In might be the challenge I need.

Regards Rick.

011 0118 Navy tender 014a.jpg

011 0118 Navy tender 019a.jpg

134576.jpg

134583.jpg

011 0118 Navy tender 006a.jpg

Well done Rick and good luck! A shame it had been left to rot after being appreciated earlier. Australia is generally very good at saving it's military history and has been for a long time. I was surprised when visiting the War Memorial just how much effort had been expended to that end even as far back as the Great War.