My new Ferret - just arrived !

Locolines

Well the first of my two ferrets has arrived this afternoon. Some pictures are attached. Any info on it would be greatly received as to its history etc......I haven't got a clue as to what all the gizmos do that's in it, so it's just as well I have 2 quite good manuals.

i never ever dreamt of owning an armoured car let alone one with a bilge pump!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

tee hee all ferrets have them and probably lots of armour they are marks from the foundry so u have made your armour plate heat treated it and want to see if its hard enough , get a pneumatic road drill with a chisel bit fitted and operate it on armour any indentations that are too deep means armour not correctly hardened .:-D

Thank you, I did. They were extremely friendly and helpful. Info is on its way to me...

Now, does this need an MOT and if so where do I get it done, as our local mot tester would faint if I turned up on his forecourt with this.

Thank you very much for doing that. Yes I couldn't have imagined it would have been with a para squadron.

does anyone know how many mk4s were made ,- and how are left ?

It's the big day tomorrow ( subject to the distributor cap arriving ) to see if it will start.

Thank you very much for doing that. Yes I couldn't have imagined it would have been with a para squadron.

does anyone know how many mk4s were made ,- and how are left ?

It's the big day tomorrow ( subject to the distributor cap arriving ) to see if it will start.

Not A Para Squadron: THE RAC Para Squadron. Replaced the short-lived SAS-trained Special Reconnaissance Squadron RAC (see: http://www.paradata.org.uk/units/special-reconnaissance-squadron-royal-armoured-corps ) Which was coincidentally based in the barracks where I spent the longest posting of my career.

The Para Sqn served with distinction in NI during Op Banner and in Nicosia during the 1974 war.

As for the Mark 4, well it's a revelation to me. I didn't know any had ever gone into service (haven't seen any pics of them on active service, before you ask). The only other example I ever saw was on Castlemartin Ranges a handful of years ago as a target.

So you have something that I consider to be well worth looking after. Congratulations.

Pat Ware's book on the Ferret shows 95 Ferret Mark 4s built, all converted from Mark 1s and Mark 2/3s. I've no idea how many have survived but there are very rare on the show circuit - in fact, I've never seen one, so I think you've got a rare beast which will generate a lot of interest wherever it goes!

There are a few Mk 4s about, there was one on eBay last year and I know of another complete one at least in the uk, plus a few in the US. There was a burnt out one for sale a while back too. Not as rare asthe Mk 5, I only know of 3 of those!