Chieftain engine packs

antar

Question

Does anyone have or know where a list of variants can be found showing the different Mks of packs fitted to the Chieftain. I have a Mk13A fully reconned by ABRO Catterick in November 2004 but have had an e-mail conversation with a chap in USA who would prefer a 14A which I did not even know existed!

4 answers to this question

Does anyone have or know where a list of variants can be found showing the different Mks of packs fitted to the Chieftain. I have a Mk13A fully reconned by ABRO Catterick in November 2004 but have had an e-mail conversation with a chap in USA who would prefer a 14A which I did not even know existed!

Chieftain L60 13a was standard pack in late vehicles ,but was also labled11A.. But there are 14A which were export, and relabled 12A in 1980. The engines are basically the same with minor improvements to blowers or sealing rings. All 11,12,14 and even a 15, are between 800-850bhp rated top on colour of crank means very little . Hope this helps!

Chieftain L60 13a was standard pack in late vehicles ,but was also labled11A.. But there are 14A which were export, and relabled 12A in 1980. The engines are basically the same with minor improvements to blowers or sealing rings. All 11,12,14 and even a 15, are between 800-850bhp rated top on colour of crank means very little . Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info, anything is of help,

By top on colour of crank do you mean cover of crank, ie reference to "red top" engines ?

Hi John.

You're right in regard to the red top.

Widely regarded as the best, most up to date engines for the Chieftain.

I think the first engines were rated at 450hp where as the red tops came in at 750hp - some difference.

A red top engine should have the full list of mods fitted to them.

Markheliops

Yep red tops are rumoured to be good but they were painted at base over haul red,or yellow. When they left leyland they were painted duck egg blue. The 15A are a musty yellow , there aren't many of those about. The painted top was to mark the state of base workshop improvement new liners,rings,blower,scavenger pump.