Petrol tank renovation

Aussie

Question

Having got the engine out of my Saladin I figure the petrol tanks would be a good next step. There's nothing obviously wrong with them, apart from one perished/corroded connection (pipe wasn't connected), but no doubt there's something nasty inside them. So I wonder if I could get some advice regarding cleaning, de-sludging and coating the insides with some sort of sealer. There are products on the web but I'm not sure if they are the way to go.

James

5 answers to this question

Having got the engine out of my Saladin I figure the petrol tanks would be a good next step. There's nothing obviously wrong with them, apart from one perished/corroded connection (pipe wasn't connected), but no doubt there's something nasty inside them. So I wonder if I could get some advice regarding cleaning, de-sludging and coating the insides with some sort of sealer. There are products on the web but I'm not sure if they are the way to go.

James

James I would check if they leak first. If they are sound and not a large sieve, then a product called Marine Clean available from Frost Automotive in the UK (other suppliers on your side made be available) will be ideal to deep clean the internals etc. That will remove surface rust and other lacquers that have accrued over the years. If it does leak the the same manufacturer / supplier does a tank resealing kit, which has proved to work. However the instructions must be followed rigorously and time and patience given to get the best possible results. I hope that helps and there are many threads on the forum using the above mentioned solution. From memory the product manufacturer is POR15 http://www.frost.co.uk/

Thanks Wayne

That's the product I saw on the web. Good to know that others have used it with success. I can't see any holes but the bottom of front tank looks as if there might have been a bit of "weeping", so I'll go with the sealer to be on the safe side.

I used Por15 15 years ago on a heavily modified bespoke land rover diesel fuel tank, its still used every day, used extensively off road, has been bounced off the ground and still is sealed. Ive used it on other tanks too, just follow the instructions TO THE LETTER and take you time i do a bit every night letting it dry/clean over a 24hr period.

:laugh:

j