Snatch electronic equipment questions

tyler

Hi,

i though i would post this so that other snatch owners could compare there mounts/fittings to others and I was wondering if anyone could assist me.

I am trying to find how mine would have been fitted out, either NI or Desert spec, and how i can go about getting it original/close as possible

EG if desert: was it fitted with radio or ECM or both?

i know that the ECM and Bowman stuff is secret and still in use etc so not available, but where can i get antenna similar to the originals/ where have other snatch owners got there antenna from?

does anyone have any decent pics or measurements of the ECM boxes/antenna used on the snatch's rather than the vixens?

Racking/ mounts: radio or ECM or both?

DSC00202_zpsc2348bba.jpg

radio mount?

44b1f220-976c-4f35-83b9-31c0d59edd1c_zpsbf359c49.jpg

wing mounts:: radio:yes, is the large hole for ECM bolt/wires?

DSC00061_zps7732c4bc.jpg

DSC00060_zps60d4feea.jpg

roof mounts:

does anyone know the make or model of the GPS dome that was mounted here?

or does anyone have pics or measurements of it so i can make a replica?

DSC00188_zpse08f6347.jpg

were all snatch 1Bs fitted with the light? as the pics i have seen seem to suggest only some had them fitted?

would mine have had the light?

is the cable pictured for the light? it runs from the battery.

does anyone know the make or model of the light dome that was mounted using the 2 groups of bolts at the bottom of the pic?

or does anyone have pics or measurements of it so i can make a replica?

DSC00327_zps15dc5b79.jpg

mount for gps radio or beacon?

5c18ec72-1640-49b0-837a-5daad4e10216_zps1ed1cc16.jpg

antenna: anyone have any decent pics of them or similar to the originals/ where have other snatch owners got there antennas from?

DSC00337_zps4e9ebdfe.jpg

Gps:

where would this have been fitted? mount above passengers door?

DSC00291_zpsd37a0d5b.jpg

DSC00293_zps2bee85b9.jpg

The Bowman headsets that are on eBay sometimes, can these be used with other makes/models E.G clansman or used to make an intercom between driver and topcover?

Sorry for all the questions.

Tyler

When I was using the Snatch in Iraq there wasn't really a standard fit for the radios and ECM, our bowman was mounted where you have your radio but the ariel was stored in the cab. In the centre front of the frame between the front and rear we had PMR mounted so that I could get to it. To the left and right in the rear we had some ECM, I cant remember when we got the various ECM because they kept giving us more. I think we had Chubb, Baltimore another one called batter ball or somthing like that and another I can't remebr the name of. One of them would block our GPS so if we wanted to use the Garmin we either had to switch the kit off or stop, get out and walk out of the bubble. When the guys came to put the wiring in for the ECM, they just asked us where we wanted it and they fitted it there. I dont have many photos but this one has both our Snatch, all the arials were on the roof as it was the best place to create the centre of your bubble, you can see the longish arial, the short stubby yellow arial in the centre and another at the rear, the fourth arial appeared later.

Untitled-1.png

We also had a spare wheel in the back with a wooden frame over the top for the top cover guys to stand on. The frame in the middle also had day sacks, camal backs and other kit on it, along with a red phos grenade so that if our vehicle was immobalised, the guys in the back could put a couple of rounds through the ECM and pop the red phos and all the kit would be destroyed.

Have you got any overall shots of your Snatch?

Edited by Chris Hall

• 3 weeks later...

hi Chris, sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the first hand information and the pic (i got excited at it for a bit as i thought the number plates were the same as mine).

i have found 2 pics on the web that my be mine but both have the last 2 digits covered/obscured

the previous owner had fitted the cut out bull bar as it was missing when he brought it, so it makes it difficult to determine which bull bar is the correct one as per Iraq theater which is what i want it to represent. I am going to leave the bodywork condition as is, because i want it to represent a intheater vehicle rather than restored etc, it has some call signs and names written on the sunvisor.

Ive refitted the 2 radio boxes. but all of the inservice pics i have seen either have 2 ecm boxes or no radio boxes or just 1 radio box fitted. so ive got to find out/ decide which way to fit it out.

here are some pics of mine:

when i first go it:

DSC00234_zpsc12ec7d6.jpg

current:

DSC00019_zps4564b731.jpg

full album of pics:

http://s27.photobucket.com/user/landyboy/library/?sort=3&page=1