Parking in Surrey

ghasp!

Do any of you know a place in Surrey or the surrounding area that provides parking for big green machines? :dunno: I've been trying to find somewhere local to park the GMC, but all the nearby farms etc seem to think it's too much trouble to be worth the money. The wife is not impressed! :-( If I don't get the GMC off the driveway soon, I'm likely to be the next member of the 101FC camper-van club.

Any help greatly appreciated!

• 1 month later...

No luck at all. :-( Apparently the council are cracking down on vehicles parked on farms, so none of the local farmers will take them onto their property. It looks like I'm going to have to downsize my GMC to something a bit smaller. :cry:

Hi all,

a short while ago i looked at caravan storage here in Bournemouth, found a farmer who would let me store it in his stable area, with the only security being "the girls who tend the horses always close the gate behind them" not bad for £50;00 a month `take it or leave it` (his words)

What transpired from the chat was as cattle was no longer viable he had diversified in to the storage buisness, but could not offer any long term agreement because the council had ear marked the area a stretch of land possibly 4-5 miles in length as green belt and to stop the developers were apply for a grant to include all forms of wildlife agencies to preserve this as a countryside learning area (and possibly saving the development rights for themselves to help fund it !!)

so this may be a clue to the above predicament faced by ghasp.

Ashley

It probably is something to do with the green belt. The farmers that I spoke to were fairly scathing of the council's attitude to their activities. They believed that the council would tollerate them running a farming business as long as they did nothing to make the place look shabby. The impression was that the land was primarily there to be looked at rather than used for agriculture. :?

It could all have something to do with the stupid law thats come in regarding old vehicle storage and the definition of what is or isn't scrap. Farmers have always cannibalised old tractors and machinery to keep other things working but this no longer appears to be legal, we have recently had a visit from the local council on the pretext of checking on diesel storage but obviously also having a good look around. We have also been visited by the Water Authority and been compelled to change all taps and ball valves to a new type fitted with a non-return valve, no other farmer in the district has been spoken to about this!

• 2 months later...