BSA Folding Paratroopers Bicycle

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't had the time to be on it a lot recently but am still looking for wheels.

I don't suppose anyone could let me know how many spokes are on each wheel?

Also how many teeth the pedel crank has?

Just looking for old BSA bicycles that have a similar or the same wheels. I think the wheel size is more important for me at the moment in comparison to number of spokes.

Hi Martyn,

An original front wheel has 32 spokes, rear 40 spokes. Finding a suitable front wheel with the same size, shape and number of spokes shouldn't be too hard....at least that is my experience. When I was working on my project, I found one on the web, along with another one awith 36 spokes which I should still have somewhere.I

I don't know how many teeth there are on the toothed wheel originally. I wasn't able to find one, so I choose to use "normal" bike wheel and weld in a new laser cut centre with the BSA lettering....works fine. (I should still have a few of these BSA inserts in the garage if you are interested)

Alex

Hi Martyn,

An original front wheel has 32 spokes, rear 40 spokes. Finding a suitable front wheel with the same size, shape and number of spokes shouldn't be too hard....at least that is my experience. When I was working on my project, I found one on the web, along with another one awith 36 spokes which I should still have somewhere.I

I don't know how many teeth there are on the toothed wheel originally. I wasn't able to find one, so I choose to use "normal" bike wheel and weld in a new laser cut centre with the BSA lettering....works fine. (I should still have a few of these BSA inserts in the garage if you are interested)

Alex

Hi Alex

Many thanks for the info on the wheels, will have to keep an eye out of ebay and at autojumbles etc.

Regarding the number of teeth I found some pictures of some that were for sale (originals with the fold-in pedels) and that has 46 teeth.

Last week I have forgotten to mention I got one which would have been from a civvy bike and is missing one arm. Anyway it too has 46 teeth so I will find another arm and use this most likely.

chainwheelsmall_zps46e27312.jpg

• 1 month later...

Getting back stuck into the bike.

I aim to get it ridable for War and Peace as it will be useful to get to see the site in a better context as long as there isn't mud like last year!

Got all the steering muchanism apart, unfortunately no sign at all of original paint, looks as if it was taken right apart and completely striped before repainting in its present colour.

Still on the look out for some parts including:

Brake shoes (will probably end up making some)

Brake springs

Brake levers (if I can't find the proper type will use some vintage generic type)

Handlebars

Other pedel arm or proper pedels and chainwheel

Wheels! Am currently using the ones it came with (wrong size but other than that pretty similar)

Think that is all so far!

Here are some picks from the other day, did quite a bit of cleaning today.

DSC08042_zpsb79a3d74.jpg

DSC08043_zps6a9c70db.jpg

DSC08044_zpsc9387bf4.jpg

DSC08047_zps7c43f3ef.jpg

DSC08048_zps5cff9c8a.jpg

DSC08049_zps6c1891ec.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Don't have any pictures to hand but I thought i'd give an update.

Rubbed it all down, primed, painted. Managed to get some springs to fit the brakes and made up some blocks.

Basically I have been spending most evenings for the past few weeks getting it ready and i'm glad to say it is in a usable state for War and Peace, which should be useful

• 2 months later...

Hadn't realised that i never updated this for so long. I got it all done up and ready for War and Peace but unfortunately don't have any photos of it there or in its current condition, will have to take some at some point.

Anyway I was very lucky to pick up a pair of Everest carriers at the car boot for the high sum of £10 the pair. Both '45 dated. My question is how are these fitted to the bike? I noticed a photo was posted earlier in this thread, do you just wrap some of the straps over the handlebars?

Picture1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

Some parabike details to help.

Chainwheel was deffo 46 tooth, I think the freewheel was 18t but I will check.

Rims are 32 hole front/40 hole rear and are dunlop 26x1 3/8" EA3 and are for caliper brakes only; not rod type.

Front and rear hubs were off the shelf BSA parts, pics show these.

Also tool bag for back of saddle for you to search for, the oil can is the rare bit.

P1070574.JPG

P1070579.JPG

P1070580.JPG

P1070578.JPG

• 8 months later...

Had meant to update this but never got round to taking a proper photo. Still missing proper wheels etc. But it is usable at the moment. Other projects mean I don't have enough to fully fund this at the moment.

yma7yvez.jpg

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk