Not a stupid question but.........

Jack

Whilst laying in bed last night (calm down Ladies :coffee: ) I was just working a few things through...

What is the width of the handle bars on British bikes? I know they will be different depending on make/model but a rough idea would be appreciated :)

Carry on.

Jack.

Any clues on which make of bike?

There are several variations, and most bikes use slightly different sizes for the throttle and clutch sides.

The common combinations for old British bikes seem to be 7/8" and 1" for throttle, or 1" and 1 & 1/8" for throttle.

The basic bar thicknesses are usually 1" or 7/8" though.

Jack, are you trying to work out if it'll fit down the back alley ?

Standard Norton WD16H bars, including the end plugs come out at about 28 1/2" . The bike can be ridden through a normal house door. Don't ask me how I know this but I only found out by chance when the wife and daughters were out...

I secretly re-built a Sunbeam S7 in my parents attic when I was a young oik, I had to take it apart again though to get it out down the loft ladder..

You should be able to restore a bike in your bedroom OK, as to how to get it out again, there's plenty of guidance on 'You've been framed'...

Any clues on which make of bike?

There are several variations, and most bikes use slightly different sizes for the throttle and clutch sides.

The common combinations for old British bikes seem to be 7/8" and 1" for throttle, or 1" and 1 & 1/8" for throttle.

The basic bar thicknesses are usually 1" or 7/8" though.

Doh!! I misunderstood! :blush:

I thought you meant the diameter of the bars.

I'll go back to sleep!

'bars vary as stated above, in thickness, length (width) and shape, particularly in the first half of WW2 (and add to this Ariel W/NG 'bars that were thicker in the middle than at either end !).........add to this the fact that many restored WD machinery today may not have the original 'bars still fitted as they were prone to damage and/or bending............I have only had about two WD machines that didn't require new or replacement items fitted.......and watch out for some repro 'bars today......not all are the right shape/length and some use a different thickness tubing to the originals which can sometimes mean that fittings such as end-plugs won't always go in........:-D

Jack, are you trying to work out if it'll fit down the back alley ?

Standard Norton WD16H bars, including the end plugs come out at about 28 1/2" . The bike can be ridden through a normal house door. Don't ask me how I know this but I only found out by chance when the wife and daughters were out...

Fantastic!!!! Thank you :)

Jack, going through some of my collection. 27" is about the narrowest on Matchless G3L and Norton Big4 and up to 31" on the Matchless G3. Everything else is in between. Ron

Perfect! Thanks Ron - will grab my tape measure.

I secretly re-built a Sunbeam S7 in my parents attic when I was a young oik, I had to take it apart again though to get it out down the loft ladder..

You should be able to restore a bike in your bedroom OK, as to how to get it out again, there's plenty of guidance on 'You've been framed'...

Now that doesn't surprise any of us Gritineye. God bless your parents!!