Thoresby Courtyard, North Nottinghamshire 9th June 2013

Trent Valley MVT, in association with the Queen’s Royal Lancers and Nottinghamshire Yeomanry Museum and the Thoresby Estate, has arranged for a military vehicle event to be held at Thoresby Courtyard (adjacent to Warner Leisure’s Thoresby Hall Hotel). on Sunday 9th June. This event will also representation from the current and past Regiments represented at the museum.

Thoresby Courtyard and the adjacent parkland provides an excellent venue for such events, particularly given the presence of the military museum, cafe and other needed facilities. A camping ground is available for anybody wishing to arrive on Saturday 8th June. The site has good transport links, being near to Ollerton in North Nottinghamshire (a stone’s throw from Clumber Park) and just off the A614 , which in turn leads directly from the A1 Worksop junction

Like many large country house estates, Thoresby was requisitioned during the war and was used by 3rd Battalion, Scots Guards for training in the run up to D-Day – all the concrete roads around the estate date from this time as does the remaining brick built tank dip used to test waterproofing techniques for the landings.

If you are interested in attending this new event, please contact me for further details and an entry form by e-mail at simon.king@talktalk.net

• 1 month later...

just a reminder that this new event, at a new venue with military connections, will be held at Thoresby Courtyard, Ollerton, North Nottinghamshire on Sunday 9th June 2013. The site is midway between Clumber and Rufford and houses the Regimental Museum of the Queens Royal Lancers and Nottinghamshire Yeomanry Regiments.

Contact me if you are interested in attending - and I can give you more information

simon king

• 1 month later...

Just a reminder that this new event, at a venue with military connections and good facilities, will be held in the park adjacent to Thoresby Courtyard, Ollerton, North Nottinghamshire this Sunday - 9th June 2013.

The site is midway between Clumber and Rufford and houses the Regimental Museum of the Queens Royal Lancers and Nottinghamshire Yeomanry Regiments.

The weather is set fair for the weekend so contact me (simon_king@talktalk.net) if you fancy a run-out and are interested in attending - I am still accepting entries up to close of play on Saturday - I just need to know how much space is needed

simon king

just returned home great run out and blew the cobwebs off the jeep me and my 6yr old son enjoyed it .great location great weather. nice too meet you all :-)

Thanks for coming - a good time was had by all

Looks as if we're going to do it all again next year!

IMG_1869.jpg

IMG_1860.jpg

IMG_1864.jpg

Thanks for coming - a good time was had by all

Looks as if we're going to do it all again next year!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77736[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]77737[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]77738[/ATTACH]

Thanks for posting up the pictures. Always nice to see what attends different events.

Got any of the vehicles which are in the background?

Scott

• 4 months later...
Trent Valley MVT, in association with the Queen’s Royal Lancers and Nottinghamshire Yeomanry Museum and the Thoresby Estate, has arranged for a military vehicle event to be held at Thoresby Courtyard (adjacent to Warner Leisure’s Thoresby Hall Hotel). on Sunday 9th June. This event will also representation from the current and past Regiments represented at the museum.

Thoresby Courtyard and the adjacent parkland provides an excellent venue for such events, particularly given the presence of the military museum, cafe and other needed facilities. A camping ground is available for anybody wishing to arrive on Saturday 8th June. The site has good transport links, being near to Ollerton in North Nottinghamshire (a stone’s throw from Clumber Park) and just off the A614 , which in turn leads directly from the A1 Worksop junction

Like many large country house estates, Thoresby was requisitioned during the war and was used by 3rd Battalion, Scots Guards for training in the run up to D-Day – all the concrete roads around the estate date from this time as does the remaining brick built tank dip used to test waterproofing techniques for the landings.

If you are interested in attending this new event, please contact me for further details and an entry form by e-mail at simon.king@talktalk.net

You mention the "remaining brick built tank dip". I well remember this from my 1950s childhood in Thoresby when it became a rather unhygienic swimming pool. Can anyone verify the location for me? And exactly what state it is in today? Made of bricks and concrete one would assume something remains?

My theory is that this is the site:

http://imageshack.us/a/img163/9269/ldt8.jpg

and if so this is what it looks like today:

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/2626/ksz1.jpg

But it's a long time ago, and I may have the location wrong. (I know I'm close).

Any help / photos would be MOST appreciated.

Thanks