WW2 (?) Briggs and Stratton Air Compressor

I did mention this old compressor a long while back on here but forgot to do anything more about it ...

..this isn't a picture of the actual one I own but it is exactly the same model etc ..

....with a bit more digging on various websites it's suggested it was part of a WW2 Mechanics Unit and was part of a 'Second Echelon Tool Set No:3' ....it would also have originally come with a pneumatic grease gun and a few other pneumatic tools which I sadly do not have..

..anyways ! ....

........On the one I have, the engine has been completely (absolutely not just cosmetically) rebuilt to total show standard but the compressor and frame need tidying up to match.......

So !....any ideas of what it was used for ?

It's been suggested to me in the past that it may have been issued specifically to tank units but I'm thinking just about any 'mechanics unit' would have had a use for it in maintaining any kit they had?...

...... and.....finally :cheesy:

....does anyone have any idea if it was issued to British forces as well as US ?

Many thanks in advance Bob

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165415&showall=1

roll down to the picture on post number 14 ..thanks :)