1946? Pattern Denison Smock.

Scotch Harry

Got this in a trade quite a few years ago,dont know much about Denisons now to be honest and knew even less back then when this was traded as a WW2 smock(at the time it looked like a WW2 smock to me!!!)-how convenient that the date is the only part of the label that is damaged(done to deceive I guess which is a shame as would be worth more even with the post war date on it).

Have been told its a 1946 Pattern??,has all brass Neweys and a half zip but to me like the deceived label the smock looks as if it was originally a full zip but has been converted to look like a WW2 smock by turning it into a half zip(again a shame).

DSCF0002_zps5f40ff15.jpg

DSCF0003_zps893963dd.jpg

DSCF0004_zps3092f57a.jpg

DSCF0007_zpsdfab2b2e.jpg

DSCF0005_zps223f5525.jpg

DSCF0006_zpsc283cd0e.jpg

I think it's a post-war 1959 pattern Denison Harry.......the cammo pattern is typical of some early 59 patterns made in the early 1960s.........but it has been "converted" back to the pre-59 pullover style..........the label, interestingly, carries the manufacturer "BMC" (not sure who they were) but were common manufacturers of Denisons and windproofs in the 60s rather than the 50s.....the label too, doesn't carry the "1959 pattern" designation either, using the earlier description, although the absence of "1959 pattern" is uncommon but not unknown..........

The plain brass snaps are unusual too for the 60s, they were mainly zinc-plated by this time......although my "trial" 66 dated DPM smock still has brass snaps fitted........

The other possibility is that this is a 1950s production (post-52) with the knitted cuffs specified from then-onwards......it may have been a pullover style originally but was at some point converted to a full-zip and then converted back to the original spec again.......the pullover style lasted until the 1959 pattern came in around 1960...........

Nice smock though !!