AEC Matador puzzle

matman41

Hi there, does anyone have any idea what the frame in the back of my 1951 AEC Matador is for?? There are also 2 really heavy duty ramps that go with it and the winch cable can be brought up into the front of the body via a couple of pulleys to help get whatever the load was up into the back of the body. The truck is all original and this is not a civilian post Army mod. The frame is marked 'A', the ramps 'B' and the pulley system 'C' if this helps anyone? :-)DSC03507.JPG

If it was for the Lance I don't think the loading ramps would be needed, as these are at quite a steep angle. I guess the search light would make more sense, does any one have any pictures of this by any chance? I have also seen some pictures of Mat's with generators in the back, does any one think that they may have been on 'skid' frames which could be hauled up into the body?? Cheers, Mel :-)

HI GUYS,Photo aleady on hmvf of the subject showing lots of sweaty blokes trying to load a 90 inch light on the back of a truck, manual with no whinch but by the fifties its possible whinches were used. http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?7056-Anti-aircraft-Searchlight-LicenceRegards Tim
PS It would be worth checking out the track width of the searchlight kit to see if it marries up with the installation on your truckRegards Tim

Hi Tim, Thanks for the link to these pictures I think you could be onto something here. Also the tubular frame that carries the canvas is higher than the standard Artillery Tractor steel roof which could, I guess, allow for the extra height on the top of the searchlight. I know where there is one in a Museum which is easily accessible to measure, so I'll take my tape with me next visit. Cheers Mel. :-)

Hi Tim, Thanks for the link to these pictures I think you could be onto something here. Also the tubular frame that carries the canvas is higher than the standard Artillery Tractor steel roof which could, I guess, allow for the extra height on the top of the searchlight. I know where there is one in a Museum which is easily accessible to measure, so I'll take my tape with me next visit. Cheers Mel. :-)
OOps..........you might have to buy a searchlite now