MoD Headlight Units.

MigGames

Hello guys my first proper post on here and im asking for help!

The Rims on my 109 GS are rotten, the bits where the infra red stuff attached to i believe, my question is can i get these rims any where and can i use ordinary 7" headlight units and backing bowls and just put new MoD rims on there.

id_landrover_lwb_full.jpgHeres what i mean if you can see that. (note: this is not my LR just a Google images one)

Also how do they come apart and would new bowls have adjusters on them?

Thnaks guys

I believe you can still pick the rims up but they can be expensive.

Backing bowls are available from Blanchards £45 + VAT per side and they should have the 3 adjuster screws.

You can fit aftermarket 7" headlights, I replaced mine with Wipac Halogen units so I could see where I was going

To remove headlights you push them in slightyl and turn anticlockwise and they should then pull off. The adjusting screws have backing springs and they hold them in place on a with a slotted mounting.

The rims are held together with J clamps. Do not lose them the only place I found selling them wanted way to much money for them

The fixings need to match 3 9 and 12 o'clock so civvy Land Rover units are no good but I believe you can get plastic bowls that work from other classic car part suppliers.

Mike

bezelfixing.jpg

backbowl2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I believe you can still pick the rims up but they can be expensive.

Backing bowls are available from Blanchards £45 + VAT per side and they should have the 3 adjuster screws.

You can fit aftermarket 7" headlights, I replaced mine with Wipac Halogen units so I could see where I was going

To remove headlights you push them in slightyl and turn anticlockwise and they should then pull off. The adjusting screws have backing springs and they hold them in place on a with a slotted mounting.

The rims are held together with J clamps. Do not lose them the only place I found selling them wanted way to much money for them

The fixings need to match 3 9 and 12 o'clock so civvy Land Rover units are no good but I believe you can get plastic bowls that work from other classic car part suppliers.

Mike

bezelfixing.jpg

backbowl2.jpg

Hi thanks for the reply sorry it took me ages to reply have been busy with work, so i could use plastic backing bowls from paddocks or eBay and use the same headlight, Headlight is i believe a Lucas 700, and just replace the rims with one from blanchard?

Would this all fit and work?

Thanks

What you do is buy (very cheap) NEW , by Lucas TVS (Lucas manuf. in India) TVS 700 (7") . Make certain you have 3 adj. securing screws type (there is other different screw versions) , there is a slight difference a cut out in the annular outer with a metal clip , remove the clip & throw it away.

This is a lot cheaper than buyoing a set of just the 3 qty. screws & springs etc.

Plastic Bowls , Tupperware bowls YUK YUK spew.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lucas-TVS-Headlamp-Metal-Bowl-1950-60s-/390356881949

Edited by ruxy
amd.