CVRT Upgrades

corporalholmes

I was meaning the petrol gearboxes, I wonder how hard it would be to chase up the parts you need to rebuild one, seeing as I work with a bunch of fitters, I could try and chase up a service manual for one and with a bit of beer get one rebuilt for a fraction of the cost

The TN15 gearbox is VERY complicated. Rumour has it the man who designed it went mad!! However, I dont think they are as unreliable as some people suggest (in private hands at least), but they do go wrong on occasions. Ultimately you will always be taking a bit of a risk, and buying a beautifully painted vehicle wont get away from that. You should get somebody UK based to do a thorough inspection and test drive prior to shipping if possible. Sometimes it is not a disaster though - when Jon Ps prototype Scorp broke down in the Beltring Arena 2 years ago (could not get any fwd/rev selection), it turned out to be a broken control rod, replaced in 30 mins.

David Browns (who do the gearboxes) are 2 miles away from me. They will do a recon job for you but it will cost well into 5 figures GBP..

Number of cvrts on the latest withams tender incl spartans with a guide price of £4.5k, which means you could probably get one for a lot less. All in very poor condition as already said but if you wanted a cheap project could be worth a punt...

There are a lot of people watching this thread and lurking.

I would like to thank Sirhc aka Chris for his candid answers and sharing of knowledge with us all.

There are some privately owned Stormers but I seem to be the only one involved with one who posts.

I have heard that there is a source for all the consumables in the gearbox for a Gen 1 CVRT (my terminology) with the J60 engine. I am awaiting to see if that becomes reality and if so we will likely commsion a rebuild out here on a trial bais. There are enough CVRT units this side of the pond to make it worth while.

R

Just picked up your thread - would a diesel Stormer be a better bet than doing up a Withams Spartan - you get an extra pair of messiers on them for a start!:cool2:

Stormers are a nice vehicle and very much smoother and more poky to drive than the petrol cvrts (i think Robin will confirm this too). It is a shame that Withams is no longer releasing them with the Starstreak turrets, which have to be destroyed on mod orders. The stormers in this sale will certainly be a far easier restoration than any of the petrol variants, although parts may not be so readily available.

Don't forget the Stormer is a significantly wider and longer vehicle and will not "fit" into an ISO sea container.

The Stormer has masses of grunt but it is a dirty lump as it belches black smoke from time to time as you give it welly to make it move.

Honestly, the Stormer is a well made Gen2 version of the CVRT and much safer as it is diesel not petrol. No pesky electric ignition problems.

There are some parts that are "rare" but if you engage and cross reference stuff or have been around MVs for a while you will recognise where things come from.

The drivers seat is a pure delight because it raises and lowers hydraulically and slides back like greased silk.

R

Robin

Your point about size is well made, they are a lot bigger than first generation cvrt's, and that will prove a challenge if driving on the smaller roads here in the uk. The thing I like about CVRT's is that they can be driven on the road with relative ease (although of course you still have to very much stay on your toes)...

Tim