New Bedford model review on Armorama

okdoky

Hi Nige,

It is nice to see a WW2 British lorry for a change. Knowing how modellers are very fussy on details, and having been a long time owner of a 1:1 "model" QL, there are a few errors in my opinion. Firstly the tyres, if you wanted an authentic depiction of how a QL appeared in wartime, it would have been shod with Dunlop Trackgrip or similar, but not the US style bargrip. I see "Avon" is molded on to the spare tyre. The other niggle is the canopy and frame. The frame has the long rails running over the centre hoop and under the ends, also the two rails, one either side of the centre one, are not straight but angled out from the centre. The canopy was a one piece rectangular sheet which was folded in at the front and rear in parcel fashion, not as this one which has end sheets and sewn in rope to pull sheet in tight (like GMC, etc). These errors probably came from measuring a restored QL and not checking against original photos. Last thing, drivers door, the quarter light is missing, but as the model appears to have no glass in the windscreens, then the finished model may well be correct once the door glasses are fitted. Other than a good model by what we can see.

This reminds me to start building the Airfix QL,s. My own QL cab and chassis was measured and photographed by Airfix for their recent model. ;)

regards, Richard

• 2 weeks later...

I waited and waited for this one to appear. :DEventually gave up and did a conversion job covered elsewhere on the HMVF site. Pity would have liked to see the spare tyre rack and the fuel stowage racks as PE parts. Perhaps some enterprizing PE maker will come up with the goods.

Still it looks pretty good and I wont be able to resist this one as it was the army truck of my childhood. Spent many hours in the back off to camp or the ranges in the Cadets.

Nik