Fordson Tractors

ColinR

Need info on Fordson type N tractors in use by the RAF during World War two, anyone out there who can help.

Paint schemes would be great as I'm trying to get info together for the museums restoration of a 1939 example that the society of friends have got there hands on.

Need info on Fordson type N tractors in use by the RAF during World War two, anyone out there who can help.

Paint schemes would be great as I'm trying to get info together for the museums restoration of a 1939 example that the society of friends have got there hands on.

Colin,

I saw a wartime colour photo of one recently. It was on a Fleet Air Arm aerodrome, towing a refuelling bowser. I am sure the photo came of the IWM photo library which is accessable on the internet. Cannot remember the colour off hand.

Richard

Its for the RAF Museum Hendon, its a shame it won't be up and running for the June show but then I don't think they are betting on it being done this year!

The colour scheme it has at the moment dosen't look quite right, its a glossy green with orange highlighted letters, I'll try and get a photo to show it in all its glory.

Hi Colin,

Is this a civilian Fordson N or the military version? I am a fan of the N's but must admit my knowledge is limited.

The dark green with orange lettering is correct for a WW2 civilian model,the earlier N's were orange until(I think) 1939/40. Does the one you are restoring have the wide or narrow fenders?

Cheers,

Matt.

Hi Colin,

Is this a civilian Fordson N or the military version? I am a fan of the N's but must admit my knowledge is limited.

The dark green with orange lettering is correct for a WW2 civilian model,the earlier N's were orange until(I think) 1939/40. Does the one you are restoring have the wide or narrow fenders?

Cheers,

Matt.

This was a civilian one seconded to the RAF so the story goe's. Fender wise I'm not sure, off the top of my head I think its a wide fender which is fitted. Its a 1939 model (Again going by the info from the Aircraft & exhibits dept), but any other info and thats about it.

According to the couple of books I have the model N's seconded to the RAF were either Land Utility (civilian) or industrial versions . A 1939 model would have the wide wings as the narrow wing didn't come in until shortages later in the war made them look into ways of saving metal . Seems as if RAF tractors had braking fitted - Harper is one make mentioned - and lighting sets . Most of the Fordsons used by the RAF were industrial models fitted with LP tyres and the 1938 batch also had cabs . Some had 28" tyres fitted which combined with the 11:1 axle ratio of the industrial tractor lead to the fastest Fordson ever where a direct throttle link made for a top speed of 40mph if pushed ! A spate of accidents lead to governors being fitted to the last batch produced . Colour for civilian tractors was the standard green of the period but Raf machines were more often than not painted the drab blue gray of the wartime era .

Hope this is of some use - this is by no means definitive nor am I in any way an expert please correct me if anyone has greater knowledge .

D

Driven one of these many times........one of the best seats you are likely to sit on!

Don,t remember sitting on the seat much, we always used to stand up behind the seat to get enough leverage on the steering :evil: :-D

• 4 years later...

As I probably wrote the books with information on Fordson Tractors used by the forces where the information on this thread comes from I can add any more information that subscribers might like to ask for.

The majority were industrial versions with LU wheels, but there were also some Land Utilities - all were equipped for running on straight petrol. Also they all had a handbrake fitted with drums in the rear wheels.

I owned a 1942 example for many years. It was straight petrol - straight throttle and would cruise at 25 and had a top speed of 45+. It returned around 16mpg running around light.

Allan T Condie

I knew the tractor now at Hendon. It belonged to a friend of mine and I have driven it. Like many of these it was sold off at Ruddington for farm use, and converted to TVO.

It was restored in peacetime colours - green, but the RAF ones were blue grey, the army khaki, and the RN ones dark blue.

Edited by Saint Johnstoun
more information

Somewhere on this forum is a picure of a WW2 Fordson bomb trailer tractor, sold in Cornwall last year. It was on solid tyres, painted RAF blue with an RAF roundel on the tank. I haven't been able to find the message containing the pics. I'll see if I have on on disc somewhere.

I occasionally take my granddaughter to Manor Farm Country Park ( http://www3.hants.gov.uk/hampshire-countryside/manorfarm.htm ). I was there last month. Pretty sure there was an example of this tractor on display there.

But I could be wrong. Granddaughter was more interested in feeding the birds (50p a bag - how's that's inflation?)