19 Set Renovation

AmphibAndy

I am just refurbishing my Dingo , recently purchased, which has its original fitment 19 set, PSU control boxes all fitted. However, they have suffered the ravages of time and weather and to look their best could really do with a refurb. It has always amazed me that some collectors seem to get their 19 sets looking like new, the panels are scratch free and the stickers/decals with the instructions on are all perfect. Question is therefore, can you buy this sort of stuff and simply rub down the front covers and respray them, or is there someone out there who can refurb the cosmetics ? Sorry if its sounds a bit of a simple question but I am new to radios although I have owned them for years, just never taken any notice of them!

Post photos please!

(Most of the sets that look new are probably unissued (US lend lease) or REME workshop rebuilds. I don't think the US or Canadian decal sets were available in any great quantity and the British sets had silk-screened lettering when new or rebuilt (or hand painted/rubber stamped lettering for partial rebuilds)).

Chris.

Dingo 19 set shouldn't have decals because they are on Canadian or USA sets. The best possible combination is:

- British Mk III T 19 set (normal ones are difficult to find, but this is nearly impossible to find, that's why most have Can. sets)

- Canadian Mk III PU (viberator version make less noise when receiver is working)

- Vario meter with special adaptor to go through the hull straight into the A set aerial support bracket.

Regards

Peter Hommes

www.milmarket.org

Edited by monty2

Dingo 19 set shouldn't have decals because they are on Canadian or USA sets. The best possible combination is:

- British Mk III T 19 set (normal ones are difficult to find, but this is nearly impossible to find, that's why most have Can. sets)

- Canadian Mk III PU (viberator version make less noise when receiver is working)

- Vario meter with special adaptor to go through the hull straight into the A set aerial support bracket.

Regards

Peter Hommes

www.milmarket.org

It gets a bit more complicated....

WW2 period will have whichever WS19 was current at the time, for Dingo probably a British manufactured set but lend-lease ones would have been used in the event of supply shortages. Any major damage to the set would result in it being swapped for a new/refurbished one of the same "Mark", or set and supply unit if necessary. The fitting of the Canadian supply unit No.2 as a replacement was late WW2/postwar for noise/power consumption/repair reasons. (It was also fitted to 24V "2-wire" vehicles if they needed a 12V "tap" to run a WS38AFV.

Post-WW2 a lot of the decals were simply painted over to hide the cyrillic lettering, and later had the front panels refinished at base workshops during major overhauls.

Aerial feeder No.4 is used on the Dingo. This is the shorter "conduit" type also used on a lot of tanks for "through the turret roof" mounting. (The No.5 is longer to accommodate thicker armour.)

Chris.

It gets a bit more complicated....

WW2 period will have whichever WS19 was current at the time, for Dingo probably a British manufactured set but lend-lease ones would have been used in the event of supply shortages. Any major damage to the set would result in it being swapped for a new/refurbished one of the same "Mark", or set and supply unit if necessary. The fitting of the Canadian supply unit No.2 as a replacement was late WW2/postwar for noise/power consumption/repair reasons. (It was also fitted to 24V "2-wire" vehicles if they needed a 12V "tap" to run a WS38AFV.

Post-WW2 a lot of the decals were simply painted over to hide the cyrillic lettering, and later had the front panels refinished at base workshops during major overhauls.

Aerial feeder No.4 is used on the Dingo. This is the shorter "conduit" type also used on a lot of tanks for "through the turret roof" mounting. (The No.5 is longer to accommodate thicker armour.)

Chris.

Chris,

You right, i talked about the best set up. Yes they made all kinds of field mods when supply was short.

Regards

Peter